Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your educated opinion (or uneducated)...

Vote: Odds of a fully unlocked D3 by Christmas?

·
Android Lover
313 Posts
-5%

It's impossible to hack and would only get unlocked with an extremely lucky leak like the Atrix got.

·
Android Apprentice
26 Posts
I do! Overclocking, more rom support/options, and the greater reduction of fear when it comes to messing around with the phone all around.

·
U.S. MARINE SEMPER FI
178 Posts
My guess would be the bionic will get unlocked first ,then the droid 3 will get unlocked,and they may before christmas,nice christmas present from Santa
,A unlocked Droid 3

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
If we could get the bootloader unlocked we could hack the recovery, get ourselves a custom kernel, and pretty much overclock as much as we want..

·
Android Apprentice
26 Posts
How far fetched is it to imagine the community unlocking this bootloader? Does it just take a matter of time, brute force, luck, a leak from motorola, something else? haha.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
The problem isn't Moto any longer, its big red. Moto has stated that the RAZR has a lockable/unlockable bootloader but they are leaving up to carriers to decide to use it or not. Of course Verizon has stated they are not allowing their users to unlock it.

·
Android Beginner
39 Posts
Yeah, this is all Big Red. I'm still kinda surprised they are going to put the Nexus on their network (although I'm sure it has to do with the amount of $ they can bank). And, the only reason it'll be unlocked is the whole "Band C" deal (article here), otherwise, they'd want it locked too.

·
Android Beginner
10 Posts
I do! Overclocking, more rom support/options, and the greater reduction of fear when it comes to messing around with the phone all around.
Why is there fear? There's a sticky in this forum with a proven unbrick method (actually a couple...one using RSD and the other a virtual one-click bat file)

·
Developer
229 Posts
Overclock module is being worked on, so there's that. The only difference is no custom kernels and no true custom recovery. 2nd init covers aosp

·
Android Apprentice
30 Posts
DRod2169 said:
Overclock module is being worked on, so there's that. The only difference is no custom kernels and no true custom recovery. 2nd init covers aosp
Glad to hear the overclock module is being worked on. I was wondering about that. I know the bootloader doesn't prevent it, but everyone seems to think it does.

With 2nd init, isn't the bootloader a non-issue? I understand it may take a little extra work to get around but aren't we still able to achieve essentially the same results?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, this is all Big Red. I'm still kinda surprised they are going to put the Nexus on their network (although I'm sure it has to do with the amount of $ they can bank). And, the only reason it'll be unlocked is the whole "Band C" deal (article here), otherwise, they'd want it locked too.
Then why are Samsung and HTC phones unlocked? The only HTC phone that has been locked was the Thunderbolt AFAIK. After that and some public outcry, HTC said they'd never do that again. If Motorola really wanted to have unlocked phones on VZW, they would.

·
Requiem Dev
605 Posts
ThisIsMyName said:
Because Motorola will inevitably abandon the Droid 3 and we will be stuck on 2.3.
To your point…the Droid 4 has just been spotted…it's going LTE, and got a design change. Moto just doesn't quit, lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts