Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Average Android
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been using my HP laptop for a few years now and I decided that I wanted to breath some life into it by installing a Linux distro. Thing is, I have no idea what I'm doing. My only experience with Linux is my Droid X. I'd like to know which distro is the most user friendly and stable and how I would go about installing it.

·
Average Android
104 Posts
I agree with the other post. I've been running Ubuntu version 10-4 and Ubuntu has everything needed to get you going and it has a GUI (graphic user interface) so it has a windows feel.

·
Average Android
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I'm downloading it as I speak and I'm gonna run it from my flash drive before installing. If I end up liking it, I'll format windows so it doesn't take up space but is still available, then install Ubuntu.

·
The Incredible Kangaroo
703 Posts
"Rockaholic said:
Thanks guys. I'm downloading it as I speak and I'm gonna run it from my flash drive before installing. If I end up liking it, I'll format windows so it doesn't take up space but is still available, then install Ubuntu.
Whoa, slow down. You format windows, and it will not be available.

·
Average Android
104 Posts
Your best bet is put it on a disk, and ultimately install it alongside windows untilled you become more acquainted with it.

Sent from my inspire 4g using RootzWiki Forums

·
Android Beginner
1 Posts
I'd suggest Arch Linux, fire up elinks in tty2 and read the beginner guide while you install from tty1. It's pretty damn simple and you'll probably learn more than just firing up ubuntu, and arch has some of the most simple, beginner friendly documentation out there.

·
Average Android
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"d0wngrade said:
Check out WuBi on the Ubuntu website. It let's you install Ubuntu along side Windows.
I've hee that you shouldn't hard reset when using Wubi. What do I do in case of a freeze?

·
Developer
194 Posts
I've hee that you shouldn't hard reset when using Wubi. What do I do in case of a freeze?
Whenever you've got a freeze in Linux, the shortcut to restart the X Server is CTRL-ALT-Backspace and that will restart it. I've never heard the hard reset thing about WUBI though.

If you don't have two hard drives, Linux will be a bit harder to install to get GRUB working just because the Windows installer doesn't play nice at times when you're using an OEM installer. Ideally you want to install Windows first and then Linux on top of it and then your installer will detect both installs, unless you feel like manually editing the /boot/grub/menu.lst file manually.

·
Wannabe GFX Guy
305 Posts
I'd recommend Mint for beginning. Alot like Ubuntu but without all the crap (like Unity).
Mint is good, but I've fallen in love with "PinguyOS" ... so user friendly its ridiculous.

I've dual booted Pinguy & Windows for the past 6 months and recently switched to 100% Linux .. love it =]

·
Average Android
377 Posts
All ones mentioned are good, would agree Arch is a little more advanced. But seeing a lot of Gnome so offering up a Kde.

PCLinux, user friendly, recognizes the drivers necessary for your hardware and looks good.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Mint is good, but I've fallen in love with "PinguyOS" ... so user friendly its ridiculous.

I've dual booted Pinguy & Windows for the past 6 months and recently switched to 100% Linux .. love it =]
I use Gentoo, was just saying Mint for beginning. Still keep Windows for gaming but use Linux for everything else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very nicely managed with cool pictures.

·
Average Android
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well it's come to my attention that a new NVidia driver has been released that fixes this intermittent white window problem I've been having. I downloaded it and ran the command they had on their page but it said something about disabling an X server. Before I get in a bigger mess than I bargained for, how do I go about this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts