Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
You will end up with a bootloader error that says Mem_map blank blah blah blah... Yes mine bricked, and it bricked hard. others have too... just dont even try it.

edit: I thought I might make the steps I took more clear to first time readers.
I took the .621 update.
Everything was fine.
Missed root, sooo
Sbf'd back to .602
All goes fine in flashing process... phone reboots... then
BRICK

What did we learn today? If you're on .621 ... dont you dare sbf back. You are PROMISED a PERMABRICK. This is serious crap. Just dont even do it. Getting my Rezound Friday. I'm tired of the MotoCrap.

·
Android Master
1,404 Posts
That really sucks for you guys. I'll hit up p3droid and twitter, maybe if we flood him, he will help out. He's all about the gnex now.

Sent from my DROIDX using RootzWiki

·
Android Master
1,404 Posts
Not sure how a warranty works after a year+ owning a phone but if the motoroloa update bricked my phone, I would be either leaving verizon with a new phone or in a cop car. I would try and get a new phone asap and never update it. Good luck guys.

·
Supporting Member
224 Posts
Not sure how a warranty works after a year+ owning a phone but if the motoroloa update bricked my phone, I would be either leaving verizon with a new phone or in a cop car. I would try and get a new phone asap and never update it. Good luck guys.
damn strait. I think there trying to kill off the last of modded Droid x`s.

·
Goosie Pizzle
2,564 Posts
Agreed. If a forced software update caused a phone to be bricked, doesn't matter if its in warranty or not. I'd be willing to pay a shipping and handling charge if needed, at most. That crap should be replaced free of charge, regardless.

In the interim, I will be keeping OTA Rootkeeper on my phone for the rest of my Droid X life, unless a root method is discovered on .621. Don't trust Moto/VZW enough to not force an OTA on my phone when I'm not looking. Although if they forced an update on my MIUI it would likely cause even greater problems...

·
Android Beginner
18 Posts
Yup. Happened to me as well.

However, I've been poking and prodding my phone last evening trying to fix it, and I'm looking for someone who has .621 and is handy with Linux and sbf_flash. Want to see if I can get the images off a working .621 install and see if I can't do some magic on them.

·
Supporting Member
224 Posts
Yup. Happened to me as well.

However, I've been poking and prodding my phone last evening trying to fix it, and I'm looking for someone who has .621 and is handy with Linux and sbf_flash. Want to see if I can get the images off a working .621 install and see if I can't do some magic on them.
so does actually sbfing cause the brick?

·
Supporting Member
224 Posts
I thought it was confirmed that the bootloader stayed at 30.04. Was this not the case or is something else happening here?
it is confirmed but it appears something has changed. Throughout all the forums people have not been able ti flash back. Way to many people to have bad downloads and such. I wouldn't put it past moto to make an update like this.

·
Goosie Pizzle
2,564 Posts
Why is anyone even attempting to take this update? You had to know this would happen.....

Sent from my Droid X using RootzWiki
Agreed. Glad to hear before it came out of soak that OTA Rootkeeper allows one to keep root at least, at least that has already been confirmed before the rest of us get it. Just because the bootloader version stays the same doesn't mean that you can't SBF back, likely there is something else in the OTA that breaks the SBF process. Will likely need a .621 root and SBF for it to work properly, or (most likely) a new version of RSD Lite.

OTA Updates *always* break root, unless using something such as OTA Rootkeeper AFAIK. Its not an aggressive step, its simply just the way it is with the Google OTA updater system.

Hopefully when we see the new update roll nationwide we will get lucky enough to get a new RSD Lite leaked or something, but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Android Master
1,404 Posts
There's really no reason to expect this to happen. No one knew you would not be able to flash back, we can still flash back to froyo if we want. It would seem that we would be able to flash back to 602 if we wanted, there's not a precedent for not being able to flash back.

I hate OTA's, they never work for me when they come out.

Edit. I guess I missed that stuff when I got into rooting. I rooted right after I got my phone in Dec of 2010.

Oh my god, you killed my DX!! You bastards!!

Reactions: Goose306

·
Goosie Pizzle
2,564 Posts
There's really no reason to expect this to happen. No one knew you would not be able to flash back, we can still flash back to froyo if we want. It would seem that we would be able to flash back to 602 if we wanted, there's not a precedent for not being able to flash back.

I hate OTA's, they never work for me when they come out.
I have never taken an OTA, ever. I was on the Froyo leak when I first got my phone with FroyoDynamite for the first year, then eventually I SBF'd to .340 to update my bootloader and then SBF'd to .602. My phone has never seen .605

Alas, there is precedent, although not without an updated bootloader version. Froyo had changed bootloaders mid-way and you are unable to flash back to the earliest Froyo iterations, or for that matter Eclair. However, there was never an Eclair SBF I believe, and the Froyo update changed bootloader versions. A bit back-handed, I would agree, as they didn't update the bootloader, but I don't think the Froyo OTA that changed the bootloader was given any info by Moto/VZW to break the SBF process to an earlier version. (I could be wrong here, I wasn't paying much attention to the root/ROM scene at this time)

·
Flashaholic
338 Posts
Yup, mine is bricked as well. Tried ALL SBF's all the way back to FROYO. Tried Linux, system only and nothing works. Motorola is screwing us. I got the Droid 2 months after it came out, then the X the week after it came out and have been using it ever since. I WILL NEVER OWN A MOTOROLA PHONE AGAIN. I have taken other updates and was always able to get back to where it was previously.

·
Android Master
1,404 Posts
What are you going to do? Try and get it replaced?

If they are replacing phones, I'll brick mine and get a new one. This battery skip sucks. I assume they are giving x2's.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.