Android OS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1337 h4x0r / Developer
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Since the Google TVs where first released last October, all there is is root for the Logitech Review (Which requires soldering the UART port, and being on the original software), but nothing for the Sony Google TVs.

Anyways, I'm involved in this since I was one of the first people to snag a Google TV, and later that day I was able to boot into the recovery menu and posted a video which was later featured on Engadget... sadly we have not found any exploit to root the Sony devices.

Hopefully this place will provide a community where we can root these suckers!

Here's my video...

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have the 46" Sony Google TV... I have been begging for a Sony root for sometime...from what I read though, the next firmware update, be it ice cream sandwich or honeycomb, should allow for some kind of root.. if Google sticks to what they said, we can hope for a software solution. Rather than a hardware one.. like I said I'm begging for this to happen

·
I just sit around here
287 Posts
What kind of access to the device do you have? I am imagining you can somehow gain a shell of some sort via sideloading APKs? Or is that an assumption too far? I'm wondering if one of the underlying kernel exploits used on phones would work? For example, gingerbreak or rageagainstthecage...

Never seen a google TV, but if you can gain a shell via APK, can you try echoing $PATH and see if you can execute stuff?

·
1337 h4x0r / Developer
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sadly, there is no ADB or any way to install anything on the device... one of the most locked down systems I've seen.

The only two things that I think could be exploited is the web browser (Chrome for Linux x86), or finding someway to communicate through the remote. Does anyone remember in Android 1.0 that anything you typed in the device was interpreted by the command line? Kind of crazy idea, but maybe we can exploit the remote communication... The Google TV remote app for Android is open source... http://code.google.com/p/google-tv-remote/

·
Android Beginner
8 Posts
sixohtew said:
I have the 46" Sony Google TV... I have been begging for a Sony root for sometime...from what I read though, the next firmware update, be it ice cream sandwich or honeycomb, should allow for some kind of root.. if Google sticks to what they said, we can hope for a software solution. Rather than a hardware one.. like I said I'm begging for this to happen
Give it time sooner or later its bound to happen.

·
Android Beginner
14 Posts
ya I have a Sony Google TV box and have given up (for now) on the possibility of root.
the Google TV 2.0 (honeycomb, not sure why they are choosing to name/number it that way) update should be out before the end of the year and thats when it should get interesting again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts