OMF/GB 76.03%
Shuji 2.x 65.17%
SSM 97.76%
Stock (Rooted/Not) 119.48%
Vortex54.31%

·
su
2,292 Posts
I figured with all of the options the DX is starting to get, I would go ahead and setup a poll to see what people are running.

What is your current ROM of choice?
Your favorite perhaps, or your daily driver, etc.
Extra points for details on why you chose said ROM!

(Due to a 10 answer limit, similar ROMs were combined. Feel free to post with more detail if you wish.)

·
Nexus Addict
377 Posts
blaineevans said:
I figured with all of the options the DX is starting to get, I would go ahead and setup a poll to see what people are running.

What is your current ROM of choice?
Your favorite perhaps, or your daily driver, etc.
CM7. Period. Excellent ROM, by far the best ive used. Its faster and more customizable than any ROM out there AND its in Beta stage, now that's saying something.

·
Nexus Addict
377 Posts
anrichardson said:
I wish I could use CM7 or OMFGB, but 2nd init rom's battery life is an issue for me.

My rom of choice is SSM-602v2. Battery life on it is amazing.
Battery life in CM7 isnt the best, but honestly its only a matter o time before its better.

·
Android Apprentice
158 Posts
2nd init battery life used to be a.problem for me. However, miui has been incredible lately. Woke up at 7am, whole day later now I'm going to bed at 130am and I still have 40%. Used the phone a ton. I use the data off toggle when at class and wifi when at home. Loving this rom

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
su
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far it seems most people are very happy with CM7. I'd have to agree for the most part, the GB build by RevNumbers was pretty stable, and had decent battery life. Is that what most of you are running? Or are you still on the Froyo official builds?

·
Android Addict
756 Posts
Cm7 FBI kernel ...better battery than froyo and all functionality. If Sensei gets ssm602 fixed where most apps I use everyday don't fc I might go back but for now its cmgb

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Android Master
1,434 Posts
I change to often, I've yet to settle on one.

cm7 is badass
Miui is the best looking ever
Sensei does killer work
Fab is a huge talent
Vortex is making a big name
Darkslide is unreal in stability

One of these days, my ocd will settle down and I will be content with something.

Thanks to all!!!

·
Curious Droid
75 Posts
I've liked Liberty, Shuji and now SSM, mostly because of battery life, good camera app, and 720p recording. Miui was pretty, but I didn't like the interface at all (no app drawer, can't remove apps from screens). I won't go on CM7 until there's 720p video.

·
Android Apprentice
66 Posts
Loved the features of the 2nd Init version of CM7, just couldn't hack the battery life. The .602 version is useable, but still needs some ironing out.

I was on Shuji 2.0 but wasn't really on it long enough to give a fair review, I'll have to revisit that one.

Was on Apex RC3, it's good ol' Apex. Rock solid, vanilla android experience you'd expect out of it.

Yesterday I flashed Vortex and I think I plan on running this one for a while. So far I'm amazed with the battery life. 6 hours of being idle and it was only down to 96%. Most of the other ROMs I've used would be drained down to 85-90%. I did have a random reboot earlier but that's it so far. Right this minute I say Vortex.

I can't thank this community and all of the Devs enough for all the hard work they put into these things. At this point this phone is over a year old (long in the tooth for phone tech these days), and every time I flash a new ROM it's almost like getting a brand new phone. So all you devs out there, huge thanks!!!

·
Average Computa
497 Posts
Ive only had my DX for a few months and its my first smart phone so Im new to the game and have only used a few ROMs. I got into it right after GB came out and dove right into it so I dont have much to compare. Liberty 0.8 was the first one and very nice. Very good battery life, a choice of blur or not, and even built in overclocking and vsel tweaking. Thought I was set on it and then read that cm7 was on GB so I thought Id give it a try. Battery life is not as good as liberty but the features, customization, and cleaniness are sick. Ive only ran into a few MINOR bugs and still love it. I cant thanks the devs enough. Imagine if all of them worked on one single ROM together? Thatd be insane.

·
Android Lover
169 Posts
I've used many roms and I have to say I have an ocd problem too. customization is more important to me than battery life. I probably used miui the longest until it stopped receiving updates, but since its receiving updates now thanks to DXC I'll probably go back to it.

I really don't care for AOSP builds because you're forced to use aosp gallery and camera which suck. the gallery is slow at loading pictures and the aosp camera app takes horrible grainy pictures. forget megapixels because its just large pictures of a vga camera. I do agree the aosp give the best speeds and stability among the rest, but at the risk of losing features that your DX is meant for isn't worth it to me. miui is an aosp build, but the gallery is a lot like the blur version and the camera app is great.

I've used cm7 and I liked it and I plan to go back to it when most of the bugs are fixed. I used liberty gb v.08 and its a great rom and gives you the option blur or aosp, but there's bugs with the blur apps. if you try to send a picture through the blur gallery via messaging you'll get an error message saying "no applications installed to perform this action" I asked questions about it and got no support and I even donated to the liberty team.

all I can say is try out the roms, decide what you like and stick with it. not all custom roms are going to be perfect, especially the ones listed as beta, contain a lot of bugs and you may or may not get any support from the devs.

best of luck to you.

·
Average Android
129 Posts
I'm currently running MIUI, and it's my favourite rom for the DX to date.

I have ran Liberty, Fission, Apex, Tranquility and CM7. Miui is giving me the best battery life I've had. It's got the most features of any rom I've used, and is the easiest to theme. It doesn't run quite as fast as CM7, but it's pretty close. Regardless, with the powerboost, v6 and overclock mods my phone flies and I rarely have problems.

·
su
2,292 Posts
I liked MIUI a lot but, something about it just didn't 'feel' right. Idk, lol. Right now I'm debating on what I want to reflash. Been on stock for a couple days and honestly, being bug-free is a breeze.

Just an FYI the OP wasn't to get suggestions on what to use, I more or less thought we could get a good discussion going on the pros/cons of our current ROM selection. And to get an overall look at what the majority of people are using, and why.

·
Android-Aholic
1,247 Posts
Been rocking shuji since 2.1 came out, tried cm7 on the froyo kernel but couldn't take the battery life. Miui was nice but got tired of people thinking I had ios on my Dx. And apex was nice but once I saw shuji was basically apex with themes so I've been using it.

·
A Chosen One
783 Posts
OMFGB is a superb rom. I sometimes would get a little sluggish on CM7 not a lot but OMFGB I have not. It also give you the best parts of CM7. It runs awesome on my X. Battery is decent I get about 10hrs with a lot of usage. Texting quick calls and browsing all day. Few games here and there. But battery life is no worry for me.

If you really want to change things up go to MIUI. It does things android should have stock. The only.reason I.left is the themes are not as good. Of course as soon as I left kgill released a bunch of dope themes but IMO the tmo theme engine destorys miui.

·
A Chosen One
783 Posts
"blaineevans said:
I liked MIUI a lot but, something about it just didn't 'feel' right. Idk, lol. Right now I'm debating on what I want to reflash. Been on stock for a couple days and honestly, being bug-free is a breeze.
Stock is not "bug-free" maybe running a blur rom is but def not stock lol.

·
A Chosen One
783 Posts
"blaineevans said:
Well agreed, maybe "bug-free" was the wrong phrase to use.
Once rooted and de-bloated, it's not too terrible imho.
Lol yeah agreed. Stock works all the time. Rare occasions does it freak out like some ROMs may. I wasn't saying you were wrong by any means. That's motos fault :p. But 100% agree. Only 2 major downfalls of stock blur IMO is the charging 10% if it goes all the way down and the theme. But really isn't that bad like everyone says and I am someone who only likes stock.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.