Android OS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
"9xnine said:
I need help here. I use a vibrant but I just got my girl a Nexus S......finally pried that F'n iPhone out of her hands. I put CM 7.0.3 Stable on there with netarchy 1.3.4 and it freezes occasionally and she hates the bland Nexus S messaging. Stability and appearance is higher priority than speed. What do you guys think?
For appearance, particularly if she finds stock Android bland, try MIUI Android (or MIUI US) as they both offer English translations of the Chinese overhauled rom MIUI. It will also feel at home for her, with elements of iOS there and it is much more polished (including the messaging app). If you want stability, use the RC versions (not the weekly betas). I use MIUI Android myself, and I think their stable is 2.3.4a or something, but I use the weeklies. Keep the stock kernel, or maybe try Jame Bond for CM7/MIUI/Any for stability. Also note that MIUI Android offers deodexed Chinese versions, so you must flash the miuiandroid-ns_1.7.22.zip (or similar) first, then the ENPACK one (English pack or something).

That's about it for appearance, stability only I recommend Oxygen by Adam Green except its very much stock looks. I highly recommend you let her try MIUI though. Remember to wipe everything before switching roms, I'm sure you know about that. If needed use Titanium Backup to save your apps (seeing as you're already on CM7) and then restore them in MIUI, just remember only backup and restore user apps, not system.

Good luck, just ask here if you need more help :)

Sent from my Nexus S using RootzWiki Forums

Edit: Damn, beaten to it ;) can't type fast on my Nexus :p

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
"Paul77 said:
That'll be that one finger typing letting you down again ;-)

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
Its actually two thumb typing ;) I just have issues with my custom auto correct list not working right now (and it has learnt some bad habbits from past mistakes).

·
Android Beginner
4 Posts
"Jonathon Grigg said:
For appearance, particularly if she finds stock Android bland, try MIUI Android (or MIUI US) as they both offer English translations of the Chinese overhauled rom MIUI. It will also feel at home for her, with elements of iOS there and it is much more polished (including the messaging app). If you want stability, use the RC versions (not the weekly betas). I use MIUI Android myself, and I think their stable is 2.3.4a or something, but I use the weeklies. Keep the stock kernel, or maybe try Jame Bond for CM7/MIUI/Any for stability. Also note that MIUI Android offers deodexed Chinese versions, so you must flash the miuiandroid-ns_1.7.22.zip (or similar) first, then the ENPACK one (English pack or something).

That's about it for appearance, stability only I recommend Oxygen by Adam Green except its very much stock looks. I highly recommend you let her try MIUI though. Remember to wipe everything before switching roms, I'm sure you know about that. If needed use Titanium Backup to save your apps (seeing as you're already on CM7) and then restore them in MIUI, just remember only backup and restore user apps, not system.

Good luck, just ask here if you need more help :)

Edit: Damn, beaten to it ;) can't type fast on my Nexus :p
Thanks guys. I just need to pry it out of her hands for a few hours. Should have menrioned that Im very comfortable with flashing ROMS and kernels so this is exactly what I needed to get rolling. Thanks for the fast response too.

·
Android Apprentice
44 Posts
I'm currently using SuperAosp 8.2-AW rom with Netarchy 1.3.8 bfs and proton voltage app. Great rom!

Now do you have an ETA on inf1nity 2 ??

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
"DaX05 said:
I'm currently using SuperAosp 8.2-AW rom with Netarchy 1.3.8 bfs and proton voltage app. Great rom!

Now do you have an ETA on inf1nity 2 ??

Has there been any update for SuperAOSP in a while? I swear its been on 8.6 or 8.2 (whatever is the latest) for ages. Is Superatmel working on a new version much like me? And no ETA, also check out the infinity thread, it may be a page back, there's some info on names and stuff you may like to read ;)

·
Android Apprentice
44 Posts
"Jonathon Grigg said:
Has there been any update for SuperAOSP in a while? I swear its been on 8.6 or 8.2 (whatever is the latest) for ages. Is Superatmel working on a new version much like me? And no ETA, also check out the infinity thread, it may be a page back, there's some info on names and stuff you may like to read ;)

Yeah he has told me over twitter that it will be called SuperOSR.

He didn't give an ETA but did say "very soon".

I'm really loving the small sneak peak that you have shown us. Are you almost finished or is it a long way out?

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
"DaX05 said:
Yeah he has told me over twitter that it will be called SuperOSR.

He didn't give an ETA but did say "very soon".

I'm really loving the small sneak peak that you have shown us. Are you almost finished or is it a long way out?

Any idea what OSR means? Operating System Remix as a guess? Lol
As for when it will be ready, I am hoping to have an early version of Carbon (the new name) out today or tomorrow based on the test versions of infinity2 depending on when I get my build server back up and running.

·
Android Apprentice
44 Posts
"Jonathon Grigg said:
Any idea what OSR means? Operating System Remix as a guess? Lol
As for when it will be ready, I am hoping to have an early version of Carbon (the new name) out today or tomorrow based on the test versions of infinity2 depending on when I get my build server back up and running.

SuperOSR (Super Open Source Rom) developed entirely from the source of Google and very little of Cyanogen's framework.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
"DaX05 said:
SuperOSR (Super Open Source Rom) developed entirely from the source of Google and very little of Cyanogen's framework.

Ah, makes sense. Sounds exactly like what was said about SuperAOSP which was just about all CM. Anyway, hope it goes well for him.

·
Android Apprentice
44 Posts
"Jonathon Grigg said:
Ah, makes sense. Sounds exactly like what was said about SuperAOSP which was just about all CM. Anyway, hope it goes well for him.

Yeah I know! Lets see what he comes out with.

·
Android Apprentice
26 Posts
well, i am currently on Infinity,
i tried the following roms (infinity, NSCollab, CM7 RC1, SuperAOSP, Oxygen, infinity)

i did not like NSCollab, and CM7, it did not work well with my phone, but i hear others loved it and it worked fine with them

the ones i really liked are Infinity and SuperAOSP, i liked SuperAOSP because you could mode anything you want in it, but at the end i returned to Infinity as it's stable and fast, can't wait to try the new one once it's released to CWM.

I'm still new to the Android world, so I look forward to more things to try

Cheers

Nix

·
Android Apprentice
44 Posts
"nixguy said:
i tried the following roms (infinity, NSCollab, CM7 RC1, SuperAOSP, Oxygen, infinity)

i did not like NSCollab, and CM7, it did not work well with my phone, but i hear others loved it and it worked fine with them

the ones i really liked are Infinity and SuperAOSP, i liked SuperAOSP because you could mode anything you want in it, but at the end i returned to Infinity as it's stable and fast, can't wait to try the new one once it's released to CWM.

I’m still new to the Android world, so I look forward to more things to try

Cheers

Nix
+1

You're new to Android but you're defintely on the right track as far as selecting what roms work for you.

Welcome to the green family.

·
Android Beginner
7 Posts
nixguy said:

Cheers

Nix
I tried all of the above too but finally landed with OpenSoju (which is not on CWM) - very stable and fast stock ROM with all the necessary tweaks for speed, battery and stability. Be warned its not fancy and the owner has stop updating the ROM. Should not be a problem till Google sends Android 2.3.5 or newer version. Till then you can enjoy the stock experience (that's why you bought the Nexus S). with the root add-on apps.

·
Android Beginner
2 Posts
Right this second (subject to change at ANY moment ) CM kang with the #gearheadbread custom boot ani and TUV13-any kernel by Morfic... Great combo btw

·
Android Beginner
1 Posts
on the moment i use zulugen rom (honeycomb look)
but i tried much other roms, but the most i don,t like the battery drain thats a pitty
no matter what kernel i used
all roms are good and fast

·
Android Apprentice
44 Posts
"Babydoll25 said:
Right this second (subject to change at ANY moment ) CM kang with the #gearheadbread custom boot ani and TUV13-any kernel by Morfic... Great combo btw
You're not getting any reboots with that kernel?

·
Android Apprentice
26 Posts
nixguy said:

Cheers

Nix
just to update that i'm now on Carbon Beta, ....love it

·
Android Apprentice
44 Posts
41 - 60 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.