Android OS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Android Ally
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wandering around XDA the other day and I came across a post in the Nexus Q subforum about this brilliant idea to make it enhance our lives. You can check out that thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1741983

After I read that, I decided to write a post on my (not frequently visited) blog. You can check that out here: http://androidallies.com/2012/06/30/what-to-do-with-nexus-q/ (yes, a shameless plug).

I'm wondering if these ideas are possible. I'm guessing they are with such an amazing dev community that Android has. But what do you guys think? Will this happen? How soon? Will this be the way of the future or just another forgotten device? I'm really interested in this topic and would love if you guys would put down your ideas.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
I don't understand the hype around this device, but I also don't have a lot invested into Google's ecosystem. I love using android, and have for years, and it keeps getting better and better, but unless you have the majority of your content via the Play Store, I don't think anyone will be buying these. Don't get me wrong the cool factor is def there, loving that Google had the balls to make something (read: assemble) in the USA, maybe if these flop and come down in price it could be a fun device for hacking and messing around, but I don't see this replacing anything in most homes of the modern day consumer.

·
Supporting Member
1,839 Posts
I don't understand the hype around this device, but I also don't have a lot invested into Google's ecosystem. I love using android, and have for years, and it keeps getting better and better, but unless you have the majority of your content via the Play Store, I don't think anyone will be buying these. Don't get me wrong the cool factor is def there, loving that Google had the balls to make something (read: assemble) in the USA, maybe if these flop and come down in price it could be a fun device for hacking and messing around, but I don't see this replacing anything in most homes of the modern day consumer.
This is targeted at the development community. They encouraged people to hack this thing at I/O. As it is now, yeah, it's not that interesting to the average consumer. But, what better way to learn what people want a device like this to do and ways to go about doing that than letting a bunch of talented people like those a RootzWiki play with it to their hearts' content? I'm sure we'll have local streaming via something like XBMC before long. I already like the idea of the social DJing, or whatever they called it. Letting anyone at a party throw a couple songs into the playlist would be really awesome.

That said, I won't be getting one. I'm not in a situation where I'll be needing anything like this. When you live with one other person in a single room, you don't need these things...

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Doing things like this or turn it into a portable game emulator. It wasn't the selling point, but that would be something I would buy and hack around on it for. Also can probably get DLNA working with it to stream media to DLNA supported devices. If you don't have any programming skills (or aren't interested enough to learn) you probably won't find the Nexus Q to be overly fun/interesting at the moment unless you really want a $300 dollar music player. If you want something prepackaged and does what the Q does on the user level + plays any kind of media, then something like this does the job for over $125 less.

·
Android Beginner
6 Posts
I plan to by one of these as well as a Nexus 7. I am a believer in the Google system and can't wait for the future of it. While yes it is priced up there I am also a believer in America and I have no problem paying $300 simply because I want to support this device. Granted I realize that not everyone is in that position and I can respect that. Everything I have heard about the quality is that it is second to none. I also realize that with the stock capabilities it is probably not worth $300, but with the hackability already demonstrated I think it will be worth every penny...at least to me, but I am a huge believer in open source and in America. Call me crazy, call me the minority, call me what you will I plan to enjoy a Nexus Q with every hackable option as soon as they can get one to my house.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Hell if you just want to stream local media, get a raspberry pi for $35 and throw the XBMC port on it.
Lacks hard drive space, but yeah, that's the cheapest solution. The one I linked comes with a 1tb hard drive built in.

·
Chief Smartass
2,014 Posts
I plan to by one of these as well as a Nexus 7. I am a believer in the Google system and can't wait for the future of it. While yes it is priced up there I am also a believer in America and I have no problem paying $300 simply because I want to support this device. Granted I realize that not everyone is in that position and I can respect that. Everything I have heard about the quality is that it is second to none. I also realize that with the stock capabilities it is probably not worth $300, but with the hackability already demonstrated I think it will be worth every penny...at least to me, but I am a huge believer in open source and in America. Call me crazy, call me the minority, call me what you will I plan to enjoy a Nexus Q with every hackable option as soon as they can get one to my house.
AMERICA!!!

Lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Rom Flashers Anonymous Member
127 Posts
Anyone who is planning on getting one, also have a GTV? What do you plan on doing, run them side by side? Just asking because I also have the Sony GTV set box and my friend is convincing me to get one..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Q and a GTV, I have been hacking away on the Q but not sure what I am going to do with it, it is really cool...the hope is that Google pushes more and more functionality to this bad boy OR we figure out what to do with it.Either way it is almost running a stock AOSP 4.0.4 build and is basically a GNEX with a 25watt amp and no display, it is solid and I really like it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.