Android OS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Developer
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Detail you current distro and how youve customized it to your needs?

Heres mine:
HP DV7-4165dx​

Ubuntu 11.04
Python3
Java 6
Dsixda's Android Rom Kitchen
Google Music Manager

It's not much, as i dual boot with win7 and i use that as my main os.

·
I just shoot lasers here
183 Posts
I'm running dualboot Kubuntu 10.04 and Ubuntu 11.04, both x64 editions. No Windows on this machine, just foss software. Running on 4GB Ram and a AMD Phenon II X6 with 1TB HD space.

·
Android Beginner
6 Posts
Im on linux mint 11 , no windoze here , planning on installing conky, just a basic setup , still learning about it, although mint is ready to go out of the box .Great for linux newbies

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Developer
194 Posts
I'm currently dual-booting Windows 7 and Linux Mint 11 x64. I use Virtual Box in Mint though with Ubuntu 32/64 and Linux Mint 32/64 installed to test my scripts using the snapshot feature so that I can quickly revert any changes and try again. XBMC and the TV/Movie scrapers are also something that also made my move to Linux much more permanent.

·
Huge Procrastinator
220 Posts
Dell Inspiron 14R
  • Windows completely removed!
  • Ubuntu Natty Narwhal 11.04 32bit
  • Java6
  • Gimp
  • apkManager

just installed it a couple days ago, so im still setting it up. Any suggestions? Im very new to linux and installed it about a week ago, but ive gotten the bugs fixed on my laptop. Im still kinda getting used to gimp since i used photoshop before i switched to linux

G

·
TheWizKid95 said:
Dell Inspiron 14R
  • Windows completely removed!
  • Ubuntu Natty Narwhal 11.04 32bit
  • Java6
  • Gimp
  • apkManager

just installed it a couple days ago, so im still setting it up. Any suggestions? Im very new to linux and installed it about a week ago, but ive gotten the bugs fixed on my laptop. Im still kinda getting used to gimp since i used photoshop before i switched to linux
u can use PS on Linux.. its not too difficult to set up
i couldnt get the hang of Gimps interface... i even tried Gimpshop..

·
Huge Procrastinator
220 Posts
airforcegeek said:
u can use PS on Linux.. its not too difficult to set up
i couldnt get the hang of Gimps interface... i even tried Gimpshop..
if you could please direct me to a guide or tell me the steps, that would be awesome

i really miss photoshop

·
Android Lover
127 Posts
Dell Studio 15
Ubuntu 10.10 (11.04 does not play nice with my wireless card)
Gnome 2 w/ customized black theme
Gimp, XChat, Chrome
Buncha repo's sync'd

·
Huge Procrastinator
220 Posts
airforcegeek said:
http://bit.ly/l9V3pl

that's one im gonna use when i reinstall ubuntu tonight. giving up on online gaming in windows so i can focus more on android..
umm... i dont have windows installed on my laptop. i replaced it wtih ubuntu. and idk how to use a virtual machine. is a copy of windows necessary?

·
Developer
194 Posts
TheWizKid95 said:
umm... i dont have windows installed on my laptop. i replaced it wtih ubuntu. and idk how to use a virtual machine. is a copy of windows necessary?
VirtualBox OSE is *very* easy to use and more stable than VMWare Player at the moment. I'm not sure if it has the ability to use Photoshop or not because it can't run games from it without severe tweaking. But all you do is install it from the software center and then run it. Go to New -> Windows 7 (or whatever OS you want to install) -> Select the amount of ram you want (512 recommended min for just using the OS up to what you need for Photoshop) -> Boot Hard Disk w/ Create new Hard Disk -> Dynamically Expanding -> Size windows can expand up to.

Once that is created click start and you should get a first run wizard asking you to select the Host Media. Either select an ISO location or your installation CD. Hit finished and let the computer go through the installation process. Make sure you unmount the CD.

·
News Team
208 Posts
Worked with a friend to help custom-build the hardware for my desktop. I run Linux Mint 11 on both my desktop and my laptop, both x64. The desktop was primarily set up for gaming, so I do dual-boot Windows 7, but I spend most of my time in Linux. Whenever I can, I run most things in Linux. I've used the script in the other post to start learning how to play with ADB, but I'm not very good at it yet. I still really use Root Explorer for that sort of thing. I use VirtualBox also primarily for OneNote since there's no Linux equivalent, and really nothing can beat it for taking notes in class

·
O_o
1,395 Posts
Uses to have Mint on my desktop (quad 2.4 Intel, 4gb ram) but misses my games so its back to W7. Just threw Fedora 15 on my laptop though. The new Gnome is kinda sexy. Decided to try it instead of Ubuntu/Unity.

G

·
Finally got moved over to Ubuntu. No more Window$. Ubuntu 11.04 Natty X64 8 GB Ram 1333Mhz 2 TB 7200 WD HDD, 1 500 GB and 1 160 GB 7200 HDD (yeah lots of storage drives..dont really use em all) AMD Phenom II X4 2.8GHz OC to 3.0Ghz. HD Radeon 5770 1 GB card. Running ubuntu smooth as butter... got eclipse and adb all set up last night. Been playing Alien Arena non-stop lol..

·
Developer
194 Posts
airforcegeek said:
Finally got moved over to Ubuntu. No more Window$. Ubuntu 11.04 Natty X64 8 GB Ram 1333Mhz 2 TB 7200 WD HDD, 1 500 GB and 1 160 GB 7200 HDD (yeah lots of storage drives..dont really use em all) AMD Phenom II X4 2.8GHz OC to 3.0Ghz. HD Radeon 5770 1 GB card. Running ubuntu smooth as butter... got eclipse and adb all set up last night. Been playing Alien Arena non-stop lol..
There can be some fun games in Linux.. I know a lot of people like Cube 2: Sauerbraten which I believe is a team based objective FPS. Also PlayDeb.net is a repository you can add that has a ton of games in it (or download directly from the website). The Humble Indie Bundles work great with Linux too, if you've bought any of them.

·
Thought Police
236 Posts
Currently I have linux on 2 of my computers. I have Ubuntu 11.04 on my Dell inspiron 1545 laptop w/o a partition on a 500 gig drive, then I have my beastly custom desktop which has two 1TB drives, one for booting Ubuntu, the other for Win 7. I also have a small 256gig ssd partitioned between Arch linux and the recent Win8 leak.

Overall, I find Ubuntu to be the best as it has the power of the Debian builds with the ease of use that comes with the Unity launcher.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
My machine is a second hand Sony Vaio VGN-FZ285U model from the US. It's around 4 years old now

Currently running:
OS: Ubuntu 11.04 (I dislike Unity though) - Also, Vista Ultimate is installed but I haven't booted into it for at least 4 months now

RAM: 2GB
HDD: 50GB on my Ubuntu partition -
Total size is 250GB but the file permissions are mucked up so I can't use it

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (Dual core 2.2ghz)
Screens: 15" included in laptop, 8 year old LG 19" square LCD

It does the job, and it's the best our whole house has
thankfully I no longer have to build AOSP on it, that would take 3+ hours at a time and I couldn't do anything else at the same time.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts