Android OS Forum banner
61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Android Beginner
1 Posts
Windows. Bah! Got Debian up and running on both my computers (Phenom II X6 1055T, bla blaha, and ThinkPad X61s).

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
Arch Linux + xfce on the laptop and desktop. Debian on the server

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

·
433 Posts
StumbleFly said:
Have u tried Mint? Heres a good article comparing mint 11 to natty
http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_stor...=Feed%3A+linuxtoday%2Flinux+%28Linux+Today%29

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
I'm going to have to try mint. I've tried my best to use ubuntu as my main OS, I've themed it, made really cool effects & everything. It just doesn't feel right when using it for everyday tasks, even after deleting windows for a week so I wouldn't be tempted to go back. Ended up reinstalling it.

·
O_o
1,395 Posts
Mint is ubuntu with things thrown in to make it more user friendly. Mostly in the form of codecs, drivers, and a few programs. If you didn't like Ubuntu, you probably won't like Mint much more. :(

Edit: unless you were using Ubuntu with Unity. Mint still uses Gnome afaik and it is different than Unity, you may like it.

·
Android Apprentice
38 Posts
I have Arch Linux, compiled :D
Custom Kernel with patches and tweaks, my first time being able to boot in a few seconds without disabling my services hehe :p

·
Developer
194 Posts
x13thangelx said:
That's an fstab problem. If its on first drive would be (0.3), second drive (1,3) etc. So its trying to pull your root partition (assuming that's your 4th primary since its 3?) From the 9th hard drive.

Sent from my CM'd D2G using RootzWiki Forums
I really would like to try again to work it out. I don't have Windows installed anymore at the moment, so I've been thinking about trying Gentoo again on it. I've been playing with MySQL and trying to get a stable Minecraft SMP server going with Mo'creatures and now that I got it going in Mint, I'm not too keen on formatting it and would rather just dual boot different distros (until I could get it moved over).

·
Android Apprentice
29 Posts
monkey1911 said:
Just wanted to add my laptop to the mix. Had to do a wubi install until I can find and purchase an OEM CD/DVD drive though.

Panasonic Toughbook CF-28
PIII-M 1Ghz
512 RAM
Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS 32bit
Damn near bulletproof!
My Toughbook has been replaced!
I got a Toshiba Portege M400-ST4035
Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66Ghz
WD 320GB SATA
4GB of DDR2 PC5300
Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS 64bit

And damn near all of the hardware is working out of the box! I just need to figure out how to get the fingerprint reader working and the screen rotation!
I have most of the toshiba bits working, the wacom stuff mostly works but I can't find the software package I need to make the button on the pen work as right click.

·
Android Beginner
8 Posts
Dell 15r i3 4gigs ddr3 running Linux Mint Debian Edition

·
Developer
572 Posts
MreDD just moved me to ArchLinux, while it was a pain to setup at first and especially a pain to get everything running to build Android after getting it all setup I am happy. Very different from Ubuntu but still very intuitive on how the commands are setup so even a relative linux noob like me can get something out of it. I think I already posted specs a while back but..

ArchLinux
HP dv6
Core i3 with 4GB RAM <===need an upgrade soon really bad...lol

·
Old Fart
108 Posts
My setup...custom built
Linux Mint Debian 11 64 bit
Latest Liquorix kernel
Phenom II x4 3.2ghz
8 gb Mushkin ram
Dual Nvidia 9800gtx+
1.2 tb storage WD caviar black
Corsair h70 water cooler
Pretty new to linux, but learning a lot everyday. Never going back to anything Microsoft...:)

·
Supporting Member
170 Posts
Just an old (like 7 years old) Gateway with Ubuntu 10.10 on it, Its just set up for my phone.

·
Android Beginner
4 Posts
Dell Studio XPS
Intel T9600 Dual Core @ 2.8GHz (Stock)
4 GB RAM
320 GB Western Digital Scorpion Black HDD
Dual boot Win7 (for Netflix) and Ubuntu 11.04

·
WTF YOU LOOKIN AT&#33;
287 Posts
Toshiba Satellite L675D-S7104
AMD Turion II P560 Dual-Core 2.5GHz CPU
4GB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 GPU
500GB Hitachi SATA HDD
17.3" Widescreen display
Windows 7 Home Premium/Ubuntu 11.04 dual boot

·
Average Android
61 Posts
Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q870
Intel 720QM Core i7
4GB Ram
Nvidia 360M 1GB
18.4" display
500 GB and 250GB hard drives.

Windows 7 Ultimate and Ubuntu 11.04 running Stock as well as 3.0.1 Kernel.

·
Bearded Wonder
63 Posts
"SyNiK4L said:
dont h8 me...but win7...with ubuntu mint running on a vm in seamless mode....?? ::hides::
Me too. I gave up on using linux as a desktop OS a long time ago. Just didn't want to spend exorbitant amounts of time getting things to work right anymore.

·
Android Apprentice
14 Posts
Dell Studio 1737
8 gigs ram
Dual booting Linux Mint 64 bit (main OS) and Windows 7 Ultimate (because I have to support it at work).
Seriously considering 100% Mint desktop and Win7 in either VMware or VirtualBox.

·
Android Beginner
1 Posts
[email protected] ~ $ uname -a
Linux localhost 2.6.39-gentoo-r3 #4 SMP Thu Aug 11 12:22:30 CDT 2011 x86_64 AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Gentoo Linux with Extreme Customs/Patches/ and personal overlay. Beyond optimized kernel and a full recompile takes me about 2-3 hours w/o office and Google Chromium. I'm always paranoid that its not optimized enough but do have the following installed:

Gnome2, CairoDock, Transmission, Irssi, Chromium, Banshee (Heavy Music manager but lovin it), Google Music Beta, VLC, Gimp, Evince, Mangler and Vbox.

I do have a dedicated HD for Windows 7 Games but it hasn't been touched in a long long time because I am able to game with good FPS in linux. Starcraft 2 on ultra runs 40+ fps, Rift runs 35+ FPS 99.8% of the time on Ultra ( Since latest WineHQ Git), and CS/CS:S always runs 100+ FPS.

·
Android Apprentice
59 Posts
a sh*tty compaq presario cq56 with
intel pentium t4500 @ 2.3 Ghz
Gpu not worth mentioning (yeah, its that bad)
320Gb hard drive
4Gb of ddr2 332Mhz dual channel memory (2 2 gig sticks)
arch linux (rolling release distro) 64 bit w/ openbox as my wm, no dm, SLiM login manager, tint2 for dock, and a heavily modified conky.
windoze 7 home premium (only for games because wine is out of the question for a Gpu that doesnt support hardware virtualization)

61 - 80 of 118 Posts