Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to see how many users on here are planning or already have one. Let me know, I am getting one from I/O, but use my MBP for everything including Java, so I don't really know how much I will be using it. Let me and the rest of us know!

·
Android Apprentice
22 Posts
I have a CR-48 and use it daily. If I bought one it would have to be sub $500 unlike the Samsung one. Ugh.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Android Lover
127 Posts
yeah, ill stick with my cr 48. until these are priced more realistically, i think there will be no market for them. You can snag an i5 barebones for 100 bucks less

·
Average Android
169 Posts
I'm not buying one. I got two Cr-48s.
I might sell them for the faster Samsung Chromebook though.

·
Average Android
151 Posts
I am lookin at selling mine if anyone is interested. I have used it maybe 12-15 times
Just not what i need, it would be great for a average user i think though but its like of being able to RDP or VNC without using the web as a middle man doesnt allow it to be used for what i would like it to be.

I dont think its illegal. Google just gives them to you they dont want them returned in any way shape or form, so if its yours and you dont have to return it dont see why you couldnt sell it

·
Average Android
169 Posts
.....nope. If it is, Google doesn't care anymore apparently. Check craigslist or ebay.

·
Android Apprentice
68 Posts
I am purchasing a chromebook, because i loved my cr48 so much. The ease of use and quick booting are perfect fro me, as i do almost all of my computer use on the web. <3

·
Android Beginner
2 Posts
I got one of the CR-48's and I honestly haven't had much of a use case for it. Maybe if I were still a student, I'd take it to class for notes or something (it seems just small enough and the battery life is sufficient for a whole day of school), but really - it'd come down to a $300 to $500 replacement for a paper notebook. The price/benefit ratio doesn't seem to make sense.

It's been really useful when one of my friends comes over and asks, "Hey man, can I jump on your computer real fast?" I can just hand them the CR-48, point them at 'Guest' and not worry about them doing stupid stuff. Perhaps if Cloud9 IDE were a lot further along than it is (and had the ability to point to non-Github repo's) I'd be able to use it to work, but as is, it's not much of a viable development machine - everything about the workflow would have to already be set up remotely.

I've got the same opinion about the Chromebooks as I do the tablets (XOOM, iPad 2, etc) - maybe they're genuinely useful to someone and it's more than an expensive shiny toy, but that person isn't me.

·
Android Beginner
3 Posts
Got my CR-48 back in February. Dont plan on buying a Chromebook for personal use, but am really thinking of having my boss look into using them for our office. Hook them up with Citrix support, looks like it may be what we need. $28 a month/user with all support included doesent sound like to bad a deal actually.

On a related note, I have been trying for months now to get my 3g from Verizon to activate, but I keep having problems. It will never activate. Have called Verizon, and they have no idea about the code it keeps giving me. Anyone else have problems?

·
Supporting Member
22 Posts
I am waiting on a Tegra 3 powered guy. Then I might jump for it. Unless someone launches a Tegra 3 notebook running Ubuntu or the like. That should allow for a very slim, light, and affordable replacement for my laptop.

·
Supporting Member
22 Posts
I forgot to mention that I want my Tegra 3 powered Chromebook to be chargeable with a micro-usb cable, so that all of my devices can be charged with the same cords.

·
Android Apprentice
40 Posts
I would totally buy one. Or I should say I will buy one. I love my CR-48, and while I'll never fully leave for Chrome OS I definitely enjoy its simplicity and ease of use.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Don't hate on them. This is a good thing for Linux!! I'm a member of the Linux Foundation and to me in my eyes this will hopefully assist along with Android in paving the way for Linux being more of a mainstream OS that's in the public eye and at the same time loosens up the tie on the market with there only being Windows and Mac's. My 6 year old has a Win7 laptop and my wife has a Win7 laptop, I have 2 laptops running Linux. One is Arch and Debian,and the other is strictly Fedora, and then I have an iMac and a Macbook Pro. So I'm not bashing any OS or manufacturer but damn it would just be so nice to see Linux hit the mainstream!!! Linux has come soooooo far and I've been using it for a long time and I just love it!! It's cool that Google came out with Android to go against iOS RIM and WinMo and now Google and OpenSUSE with ChromeOS and now ChromeBooks it's just nice.. Refreshing!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was sent a few of these to field test for work. A few things I observed and my humble opinion on anyone looking to purchase;
They are really mobile and the OS is clean. Basic websurfing and data entry was smooth and easy. We had the monthly contract and ended up quitting after the trial since it would have been cheaper for us to purchase i3 laptops and use them for a year than keep the Chromebooks. If we had just needed a surge of hardware for a few months, Chromebooks would have been great.
They also run google apps and it may just be personal preference but I use Excel and google has yet to impress me with spreadsheet data manipulation.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.