Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Android Aficionado
279 Posts
Other than "it's better" lol.

EDIT: Tell us what Distro you're using too!

And what about that pesky Windows key that almost certainly functions as your Superkey? Think anything of it? Just live with it? It drives me nuts!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Freedom, I've never been good at leaving stuff alone & linux gives me the freedom to do whatever I want, I can customise any part of it.

·
The Incredible Kangaroo
703 Posts
Freedom, I've never been good at leaving stuff alone & linux gives me the freedom to do whatever I want, I can customise any part of it.
This.

And just principle. Windows tries to restrict what you do with it, and most of Linux is open source and customizable. Also, Windows is pretty insecure, especially out of box, while Linux is opposite.

Also, installing Lknux, especially a distro like Arch (my favorite), teaches you a lot about how Linux works, as opposed to Windows just working out of the boz.

I'm actually reinstalling Win7 right now to one of my partitions, after not having it on my computer for around 6ish months. I had it on a partition earlier to that just never used it for a year till I deleted it. Reinstalling due to Diablo 3 not playing nice with Linux. I fought with it for 3 days before giving up. I died a little on the inside. Arch will still be my main OS, unless I'm in the mood for D3.

·
Android Aficionado
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear Arch, you basically build the GUI yourself, starting off with Terminal and working from there. I can see it teaching you a thing or two about Unix and Linux haha.

I'm for the freedom as well, but without Photoshop, AutoCAD, drivers for my fingerprint reader which I very well may never see, it's tough.

Do you know if the Android sort of App creation wizard in Eclipse for Windows also works with the Linux version?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Android development is so much easier in a Linux environment than it is in Windows. I've had nothing but problems doing the simplest things in Windows (such as setting up adb), where it takes a couple commands in Linux and you're all set.

Was using Arch until a few days ago where an update trashed my system, now on Ubuntu.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Main reason I use Linux is development. I use Windows as well, but mostly when I play games or do Windows related development (Visual Studio). I have a rather unorthodox way to do things that works for me, but may not for everyone. I have no issue with Windows (also helps I know how to secure/configure it properly), unless I want to do something development wise. Then it typically gets in the way for most things. I'm not going to tell someone they should use Linux because it's "cool" or "Windows iz for n00bz." Those are the most trite and idiotic reasons out there that smack of being uttered by some teen that just found Linux a few months ago. I also hate dealing with Wine to run anything more than simple Windows apps on Linux (and even some of those can be a pain in the ass if they're new). Taking a 10-20% hit on performance or more + stability issues to run Windows apps + games is not overly fun either on Wine.

Trying to develop for the web on Windows is not fun and not something I would recommend and that's a big part of my work (no way I'm dealing with Apache or any other part of the stack on Windows with its screwed up workarounds to function). Not to mention, things like PHP and Python do not work totally the same on Windows as they do on *nix. God forbid ever having to open cmd.exe in Windows to do something useful or trying to use Git natively, yuck. Cygwin is an okay hacky alternative, but it's still not the same as the POSIX terminal on Linux. That plus things really need to be tested in the environment they will run in and I would not run a Windows Server unless I had no choice (basically client insists on it).

Also cannot build Android on Windows, so I need Linux for that as I am sure as hell not dealing with OSX and its gimped up UI + hacky way of installing development tools. Also not a fan of Xcode.

Typically though, I ssh into Linux remotely to a web server or to my other box using screen to keep my session saved and keep my main PC on Windows. I hate rebooting. That or use virtual machines for testing configurations (or reverting if something goes awry). I rather keep the development environment separate from my user environment, so keeping all that separate on another box/server or VM is preferred. Might as well take advantage of the CPU virtualization features of the CPU I own.

Version of Linux I use though? Mostly Debian.

Windows key? I set it to act like the Windows key does on Windows. However, I use KDE and KDE typically acts like Windows UI wise unless you change it.

·
Android Aficionado
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was on Windows 8 RTM until I realized nothing works right- JDK wouldn't register with Android SDK as being installed, Call of Duty 5's PunkBuster kept kicking me for having an unsupported Windows version, audio driver was driving me up a wall.. but it has potential, assuming Windows continues to dominate.

I'm looking forward to working with Eclipse and the Android SDK on Ubuntu 12.04, which I just installed. Again.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Windows 8 on a PC
. Sounds like you were torturing yourself haha. I mean I can see how it would be okay on a tablet or phone, but PC? No thanks. I tried it a little in a virtual machine and the fact they destroyed anything useful UI wise about Windows for the sake of thinking a tablet UI was perfectly okay for a PC was just sad.

Also makes me mad they're destroying the UI of any app they make so I still have to deal with the fugliness for something like visual studio.

·
Android Aficionado
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the main thing that killed me when I thought it over, the permanent switch to Linux. I like the idea of having all of my programs running in unison, not like it is on Android where only one is open at a time. The whole Metro app setup ruins that, simply because they're apps and not programs. Otherwise, I was really drawn to the fresh look of the UI in Windows 8, but hey, looks shouldn't mean a lot when everything else sucks.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Yeah the overhaul of the UI theme itself is okay on Win 8, just killing the start menu and screwing up usability as much as they did really sucks.

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Ubuntu 12.04

1. Microsoft doesn't deserve my money
2. My room stays cooler
3. Don't "game" that much, so windoze only games is not a problem
4. Building android
5. I love gnome 3!
6. My computer turns on faster
7. Makes me feel more important than everyone else when I have like 20 different terminals open doing stuff :)
8. Increased stability
9. Easy to theme without "uxtheme hacks" etc
10. I support free and open source software
11. Multiple workspaces
12. Gnome 3 google account integration
13. Less clicking around with gnome 3, more gestures
14. No need for "virus protection"
15. Sudo solves any problem
16. apt-get is amazing
17. Variety of desktop environments to choose from
18. All of my programs I use run naively in linux without any need for wine
19. More recursive acronyms
20. Bragging rights

·
The Incredible Kangaroo
703 Posts
3. Don't "game" that much, so windoze only games is not a problem
I know you said all your programs run natively on Linux, but if that changes, PlayOnLinux is amazing. I finally got it to work with Diablo 3, which took some doing. More so because of my Nvidia card with Optimus than anything else.

·
Android Aficionado
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love sudo, but yes, if there was ever a widespread Linux virus, it would depend on sudo permissions to do its thing.

Dp, thanks again for saving my Droid Incredible via RUU almost two years ago lol.

·
ROM Hacker
228 Posts
I have run many distros of Linux in the past. My favorite for desktops is Gentoo, and for servers is Debian.

I use Linux for many reasons, and here is a short list of why I use them from most important to me, to least important.

* It's customizable beyond belief.
* It's VERY fast because it's light on resources (the distros I use)
* When my installs break, it's my fault, not someone else.
* It's more secure because it offers tools to protect me
* It offers me the tools that I need on a day to day basis
* Wine is there to back me up if crap hits the fan
* Open source

While I support open source, I put it on the end of the list for one reason. If it doesn't do what i need, I'll use closed source, and not suffer. I try to stay as open as I can as long as it does what I need. I've been using Linux since 1997, and I don't think I'd ever completely stop using it for anything in the world. If you'd like me to explain my reasons better, please ask what you want to know more about, and I'd be happy to answer!

·
Android Apprentice
122 Posts
1. Customizable - don't like the UI? Install another or build your own from all the pieces out there.
2. Fast. Very fast compared to Windows. Miss the speed of my old Arch build.
3. Security
4. If an update breaks something just uninstall the update and unlike Windows everything still works. Saved me many times when dealing with AMD/ATI drivers and kernel updates.

Just wish I had more time to dive deeper into Linux. Loved using Arch, but the above mention of AMD drivers and the rolling kernel updates pissed me off so I went back to Ubuntu for the time being.

I'd love to use Gentoo, and make it my primary, but I just don't have the time thanks to the wife and the 10 month old. I have the drive space to dual boot my laptop with Ubuntu and Gentoo, but just don't have the time...God why can't there be a 36 hour day or why couldn't I live on 2 hours of sleep? :D

·
Android Apprentice
126 Posts
I've flirted with Linux for the last few years, but the most recent cause for me to switch was because flash under chrome out of nowhere became mind mindbogglingly unstable. As in enough to bring down my whole machine. Not even a clean reinstall would fix it. What made me stick with it though, was throwing a preview of Win8 on an old laptop and being completely disgusted with its UI. If that's the future of Windows, I want no part of it.

I run Lubuntu, a derivative of Ubuntu that uses LXDE as its window manager.

*Very lightweight. Very fast
*Most of the stuff I needed from Windows has open source equivalents that work good enough.
*Wine can (sometimes) make up for missing software.
*Security. Dont need antivirus software bogging things down.
*I run two 1920x1080 displays, and Linux doesnt insist on running everything in a higher DPI like Windows does. I got those monitors for the extra space, not for a high res exit button on my windows.

Its not perfect though, there are a few nagging flaws.
-ATI drivers are complete @#$%
-If a fullscreen application crashes, it brings everything down with it.
-Skyrim wont run under wine without a poor framerate and graphical glitches rendering some things like swimming impossible. Probably the ATI drivers

The flaws arent deal breakers for me though. I'm quite happy with Lubuntu overall. If I ever switch away from it, it'll probably be to a mac (provide Gatekeeper never goes away and the unix parts are still accessible).

1 - 20 of 70 Posts