Android OS Forum banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
n00blet
142 Posts
I disagree, I have never had an issue that was not resolved within minutes on Arch. Keep in mine it is a rolling release and you need to update more than once a month. I update multiple times a day. read the news on the front page before upgrading and you'd be just fine.

Keep in mind I am biased and most Arch user are biased.

You'll know an Arch user as they will tell you first chance they get.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't do anything mission-critical, so if Arch breaks something it's not the end-of-the-world. And I always have my Win7 partition to fall back on and work off of. I figure since I have a large unused chunk of space in my Linux partition, once I'm ready to build I'll cut off a piece of that partition to build Arch or whatever I decide. Then, if I like my creation, I'll move everything from Mint over to the new part, resize parts and go.

About that Win7 partition: I'd have to do something pretty blatant in Arch to wreck my partitions, right?

·
Total Gnub
1,509 Posts
Just switched back to arch today :) they completely revamped the setup on the newest version, no menu for installing, and you need an internet connection. Got it up and running and I'm happy to be back on arch, as I have wayyyy to much free time right now lol.

·
The Jittery Gentleman
1,760 Posts
Reinstalled windows 7 on one of my desktop drives yesterday and have had nothing but issues so far. Windows has some cool stuff to offer like Photoshop and music production stuff (I'm a musician) that can't be used on Linux. Other than those 2 though I will always stay with Linux. Why? Because it just works. I never really have issues with any Linux distro I've used.

·
Android Aficionado
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I actually just got out of hackintoshing. Wrote a guide for my laptop, published it on a Hackintosh forum site, said goodbye.

Well, I have a lot of laptop hard drives, I try to keep at least one of each type of OS on one hard drive. So like the hackintosh hard drive is in-tact and in my closet, so is a Windows 7 one, Windows Vista is on one I think..., One has Ubuntu 12.10, and then I think another still has Ubuntu 10.10.

Anyways, I'm on Ubuntu 12.10 now, installed it the day it came out, definitely some improvements. I have to be able to build Android, and the hackintosh setup only mostly works (only one USB port is functional, WiFi is in and out, volume control doesn't work, it's stuck on max volume lol... etc.) and I'm done with Windows I think, the only program I'll miss is iTunes, and that, if I really need it, is Wine-able.

Side Thought:

People can call us cheap for using a free os, but hey, most of us bought our computers with Windows pre-installed. If anything, I'd like a discount for selling back the Windows license to BestBuy/Microsoft/whoever.

·
tehk G33k
154 Posts
personally I've used Ubuntu for a number of years now, generally kept Windows on dual boot just for games. Hoping steam on linux works out for the best in lieu of Windows 8 not to favorable amongst game development companies. But out of the box Ubuntu has been more compatible with various devices that I use compared to a lot of problems I've had with windows vista and 7. The customization and open nature of Linux is by far the best. Running gnome 3 with docky is awesome if want the look and feel of OSX with even more functionality.

Sure you can make Windows secure but in doing so you tend to limit the OS quite a bit. In some cases make it much less operable. Where as Linux is way more secure and still gives you freedom to do whatever. Just the adhoc nature of how Windows was designed from the ground up has been crazy through the years. It's funny but I remember a time when OS/2 was supposed to be the major OS for general commercial use back in '93 but with it being so expensive and didn't have as much hardware compatibility as windows did, so it fell to oblivion pretty quick.

OS/2 being based off Unix made for a much more stable and secure OS. But the general public gravitates toward the cheapest deal. my first pc was a 80286 with OS/2 and I eventually loaded MS DOS on it as well. Had 2 40mb hard drives to switch out between the 2 OSs. I love to tinker, :) probably why I like android so much. But of course the tables are starting to turn because Ubuntu is extremely user friendly now. More so than windows. And if gaming companies really put forth the effort and jump on board with Valve most likely we might see Ubuntu based PCs quite a bit in the future.

·
Android Aficionado
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Linux has to take off eventually, because Microsoft has to fail eventually. If memory serves, very few companies have survived more than 100 years, AT&T (Bell) being one of them.

I hate Micro$oft even more basically knowing that they PAY to keep Linux down, for good reason, but it's their fault that Netflix relies on Silverlight, which conveniently isn't available for Linux, it's basically proprietary. It's also their pushing OEMs that has the Windows logo on every keyboard in retail computer stores (except Mac, of course).

So one day, enhanced by Valve's decision, Linux will definitely rule over computers.... Perhaps only to damn itself by being so open, and then to fall again when a company rises up with their own OS and says "use this, it's safe and everything works!" (a company like Microsoft?). Vicious cycle!

61 - 70 of 70 Posts