Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
19 Posts
I have searched all over and have seen this issue posted a few time but have been unable to find a resolution. Due to this I thought I would submit to the experts.

I have tried numerous different roms (cm4dx and ssx 2.0 are the only 2 since GB release though) , but recently I was running stock 4.5.596 deodexed and I started having having an issue connecting to WiFi at work. I had assumed this was caused by an issue at my office until I realized that the reason I couldn't connect was because my mac address had change for the WiFi on my phone.

I thought to myself that's not possible that is burned into the WiFi module and is not changeable, but none the less it had changed. Then I realized it changed every time I turn WiFi on and off.

Due to this I figured it must be a bug so I did a factory reset, it still did the same thing. So I SBF'd back to froyo and used the CM4DX monster zip to roll back the baseband to .07. Then I SBF'd again to get back to stock and try again, still have the same issue. So I tried to do the 2 part update.zip to get to 4.5.596 rooted, issue still not fixed. Currently I am on Stock unrooted 2.3.340 and the .07 baseband hoping to find a resolution the the problem.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The MAC address starts with 08, which seems to be the only consistent thing in the MAC addresses it has changed to, which is not what the MAC address started with when I got the phone.

·
I just hide here
2,237 Posts
my only guess would be...that it does actually have a mac address for the wifi radio and a mac address for the 3g radio...so that it doesnt create a conflict when swapping back and forth between the 2. but i could be wrong.

·
Android Apprentice
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SyNiK4L said:
my only guess would be...that it does actually have a mac address for the wifi radio and a mac address for the 3g radio...so that it doesnt create a conflict when swapping back and forth between the 2. but i could be wrong.
No, the wifi MAC address changes to something new every time. None of them are actually the one the phone came with because I recorded that one because it had to be put into my works MAC filter to allow access to our hidden WiFi.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Android Apprentice
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SyNiK4L said:
oooooo i see....so its always random ur saying?
Correct, I believe it started when I used one of the 4.5.596 stock deodexed update.zips to return from CM4DX, not certain though. I had been running without any issue whatsoever until then. Now the MAC address of my WiFi adapter generates a new random MAC address every time I restart WiFi. The only thing that remains consistent is that the MAC address always starts with 08: the proper MAC address used to start with f8:. Not sure what could have caused this type of issue.

·
Android Beginner
3 Posts
I've been having this problem on my droid x for a while now too. After digging around some, I traced the problem to what I suspect is file nvs_map.bin missing from /pds/wifi. If anyone else having their MAC change can check to see if that file is missing, I think this would be a good starting point for getting this problem fixed.

·
Android Mechanic
203 Posts
You are half right, well half way too..... so I guess that means quarter right. This is one of many problems I have been looking into and working on. Am going to make a post later (tho tbh it will be a wall of text) if people are interested and don't mind the length. But will give a short and skinny here regarding the nvs.

You are correct that the nvs is missing from the /pds/wifi however that is not the real issue, just a sign of deeper ones. The nvs_map.bin is missing yes, however it is missive due to erroneous info in init files partially.

The nvs is is made thru the calibration procedure done by the tiwlan interface is being initialized during proc time. However it is called for inappropriately and mislabeled in the coding of the x. It should be located in the /system/etc/wifi directory. This brings up another issue ... this phase of initaization fails due to the firmware being absent or mislabeled. This is fine as far as the phone is concerned at first, done the road tho it causes errors as the calibration of the processi is not able to occur and therefore any upgrading isn't either. All of this now points to the init. folders, which call for the wrong files, locations, arguements etc.

I'll make a post later if folks want explaining this and other issues I have noticed and am working on for a personal rom I am seeing if I cab make work for the x, more of a proof of concept then anything really.

Regardless of whether or not folks want the wall or not I'll explain this and what to do to fix, or make it a little better at least (depending on other issues lol), later tonight after class. The short and skinny is finding the correct wireless driver to be used out of the 3 offered. Creation of the proper nvs_map.bin file thru commands on your phone ( not on PC .... or downloaded ... don't work as well I found ). Then relocation of all parts to proper area. Correct the erroneous strings in the affected init files. Reset proc order. Then initializing proper calibration. After that you should be gtg.

Btw the Mac address is made during part of noted process I just rambled about. However, since the files are not correct, or simply not there in some cases, the proc fails to complete, therefore continues to re-intit when called for, this cycle cause the Mac to change.

Again, this is sadly a short version and not thorough. If folks want I will make a post later explaining tthis and other issues I have noted and am working on. If not tho, I will atleast come back to this and explain it better as well as steps to fix or atleast make it better...

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Average Android
559 Posts
I've never had this problem, but it sounds very frustrating. What causes it to appear almost spontaneously for some people? Is an SBF a possible "cure"? A fix, just in case, would be nice to have.

·
Android Beginner
3 Posts
This isn't something a SBF fixes (at least the .340 and .602 SBFs - I haven't tried others). I tried copying over a nvs_map.bin file that I generated from a TI dev board and it does cause wifi to come up with the MAC address specified in that file every time. The calibration data is for the wifi chip on the dev board though, so it's likely that the wifi chip isn't running optimally. I'd definitely be interested to hear more about what ytou're working on blackadept so that a correct fix can be found for the problem.

·
Android Lover
231 Posts
Oh. and even Sweeter. both Phones had the Same Mac address, so i edited the bad phone with the Replaced NVS file and changed last two of the mac address so i now have xx:xx:xx:xx:bc:40 on one phone and xx:xx:xx:xx:bc:41 on the other.

·
Android Mechanic
203 Posts
http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php...n-today....-*so-far-fixed-my-wireless-issues*

Just a side note for you.... the nvs controls more than just the MAC address when it comes to the X. This is why I mention in the above post that manually generating the file trumps downloading it. If it is made from the device FOR the device it will be better suited for it. When you use another nvs from another device, regardless of its origin, you are using the parameters of that device which can:

a) under power it/over power it;

b) call for things it is not capable of/unable to call for things it IS capable of;

54) cause it to not fully initialize/calibrate causing errors and reproc's;

Heffalump[SUP]2[/SUP]) and/or possibly turn it into a communist *ref needed*

Just to mention a few

·
Android Mechanic
203 Posts
Lol I'll make a guide and post it later or tomorrow night, but honestly ... it wont be much simpler then that post lol. Just less words, more directions, and hopefully some of the extra stuff explained (tho doubt much of the extras as I'm still working on it lol).

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Android Lover
231 Posts
I've read your other thread as well. Quite interesting shit there. I did paste some of the commands you posted through ADB shell, i guess that is not the way to approach that. In any case, i will be following your work as again, it is good stuff.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.