Android OS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Android Mechanic
203 Posts
You are half right, well half way too..... so I guess that means quarter right. This is one of many problems I have been looking into and working on. Am going to make a post later (tho tbh it will be a wall of text) if people are interested and don't mind the length. But will give a short and skinny here regarding the nvs.

You are correct that the nvs is missing from the /pds/wifi however that is not the real issue, just a sign of deeper ones. The nvs_map.bin is missing yes, however it is missive due to erroneous info in init files partially.

The nvs is is made thru the calibration procedure done by the tiwlan interface is being initialized during proc time. However it is called for inappropriately and mislabeled in the coding of the x. It should be located in the /system/etc/wifi directory. This brings up another issue ... this phase of initaization fails due to the firmware being absent or mislabeled. This is fine as far as the phone is concerned at first, done the road tho it causes errors as the calibration of the processi is not able to occur and therefore any upgrading isn't either. All of this now points to the init. folders, which call for the wrong files, locations, arguements etc.

I'll make a post later if folks want explaining this and other issues I have noticed and am working on for a personal rom I am seeing if I cab make work for the x, more of a proof of concept then anything really.

Regardless of whether or not folks want the wall or not I'll explain this and what to do to fix, or make it a little better at least (depending on other issues lol), later tonight after class. The short and skinny is finding the correct wireless driver to be used out of the 3 offered. Creation of the proper nvs_map.bin file thru commands on your phone ( not on PC .... or downloaded ... don't work as well I found ). Then relocation of all parts to proper area. Correct the erroneous strings in the affected init files. Reset proc order. Then initializing proper calibration. After that you should be gtg.

Btw the Mac address is made during part of noted process I just rambled about. However, since the files are not correct, or simply not there in some cases, the proc fails to complete, therefore continues to re-intit when called for, this cycle cause the Mac to change.

Again, this is sadly a short version and not thorough. If folks want I will make a post later explaining tthis and other issues I have noted and am working on. If not tho, I will atleast come back to this and explain it better as well as steps to fix or atleast make it better...

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Android Mechanic
203 Posts
http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php...n-today....-*so-far-fixed-my-wireless-issues*

Just a side note for you.... the nvs controls more than just the MAC address when it comes to the X. This is why I mention in the above post that manually generating the file trumps downloading it. If it is made from the device FOR the device it will be better suited for it. When you use another nvs from another device, regardless of its origin, you are using the parameters of that device which can:

a) under power it/over power it;

b) call for things it is not capable of/unable to call for things it IS capable of;

54) cause it to not fully initialize/calibrate causing errors and reproc's;

Heffalump[SUP]2[/SUP]) and/or possibly turn it into a communist *ref needed*

Just to mention a few

·
Android Mechanic
203 Posts
Lol I'll make a guide and post it later or tomorrow night, but honestly ... it wont be much simpler then that post lol. Just less words, more directions, and hopefully some of the extra stuff explained (tho doubt much of the extras as I'm still working on it lol).

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Android Mechanic
203 Posts
Yeah, has to be on the phone via terminal. Commands don't carry over thru adb shell too well, lol.

Oh and yeah, wiping the phone causes the loss of the nvs depending on from what to what. Basically, if it formats where its at, well ... it go bye bye. Also, changing drivers or versions, mapping, etc etc. will change it too.

Ps: I'm jealous lol, I want a dx I can hack and slash with dev-wise lmao. So much easier to take the leap on certain tests when you don't have to worry about borking the phone completely lmao.

Meh, maybe in a couple months if I get my new phone I can try flashing the boot stuff haha.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Android Mechanic
203 Posts
@jerkwad - haha yup, welcome to the world of android.... ELF/Java/.dex Java/ etc etc .... its fun for the familly! (Well manson's family anyways....)

@aarioch - hey NP bud. Wasn't an issue for me really .... I had actually been working on other projects. One of those is hostapd ... in the process I noticed this the other night and played around with it till it worked for me. Saw others were having issues so figured I'd share how I fixed mine in hopes it fixes theirs too. Of course now I have added more projects to the heap hahaha.

Great info there that you posted .... referenced it myself some. Just be careful you follow the right directions! Make sure its the right driver, right interface, right omap, right set-up, etc.. Otherwise, yeah its a great site. I have been using its tools to mess around with wifi myself and for referance too. Another good one to look at, again assuming you look up the right stuff, is omappedia or something or other. Good info there too.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Android Mechanic
203 Posts
Ermmm, 332, but mine isn't the best to go against lmao. You have to remember that I'm usually in perpetual state of tweaking something, working or not hahaha. I only have one phone so only way to test some stuff is to put it in there (yes I know the emulators and all that, but personally I don't use em anymore unless I have too. We'll just say there were some "incidents" lmao). Hence why I haven't tried any of the bootloader ideas.... haha.

That said you should in my post I talked about some of what is used to create the nvs. Considering that, you can see why the sizes can differ to a degree. Each one is being made for the individual device used to make it, suiting itself to the characteristics/variances/hw/sw/configuration, stuff like that; hell, where you live and how you use your phone ultimately can seperate them. This is why I suggested making it on the phone as opposed to just downloading one or using another persons' even if they have the same build and phone.

Food for thought is the next step past the nvs ...

Remember the wlan_loader? It uses the tiwlan.ini, fw_wl1271.bin, and the nvs_map. If I use a different version of any of those my end result can be different than yours, even if the function isn't, if you see what I mean.

So just using a random one .... well, it could work NP, it could possibly even make it better, or it could make it worse.... or not work right at all. I dunno bud, I just assume make it myself.

But then again, like I said, ATM mine is 332 lol. Been higher and lower, but not drastically so.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Android Mechanic
203 Posts
Motorola isn't making it really so I'd say they are making it pretty poorly, lol jp haha.

To answer the question about what is making it, well not gonna go crazy in depth here this late, so forgive the broad/generalized answer here...

The programming inside does, sorta.... remember the drivers license analogy? That file is made to lay down some of the more basic parameters or rules for the wl. As far as that goes, assuming the platform/hardware/software is all the same, not much changes. The other side of it tho is where you could see that as part of its creation is the initial calibrating of the wireless (as far as the new nvs is concerned), sort of a baseline to build off of. This *could* cause changes because part of what it is calibrating for are variances in certain values between calibration periods such as temperature, voltage, pogo stick riding skill, drunken extreme yo-yo mastery, and other causes for performance degradation.

Heh, sorry don't mean to make light, just tired. I'll try to make it a bit more clear tomorrow night. I just didn't want to leave yah hanging in case tomorrow turns into another fun filled non stop wee woo wee woo all over the city Friday night....

Guess simplest way to put it for now:

Its not what makes it so much as how it makes it.

Course, I coulda put it that way 10 posts and 479274 lines earlier... lmao

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Android Mechanic
203 Posts
sweet baby jesus I'm gonna drop kick the hamster running my internet ....dangerous just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten about you bud. having internet issues atm, have actually completely typed out 3 answers for you and all get eaten except for this here 2 liner...just wanted to let you know

1 - 9 of 9 Posts