Android OS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Android Lover
231 Posts
Cool. Dropped the nvs_map.bin from my 2nd DX into the one that has a problem and now they both have the SAME Mac Address.. Better than changing..

Thanks.Aarioch

·
Android Lover
231 Posts
Oh. and even Sweeter. both Phones had the Same Mac address, so i edited the bad phone with the Replaced NVS file and changed last two of the mac address so i now have xx:xx:xx:xx:bc:40 on one phone and xx:xx:xx:xx:bc:41 on the other.

·
Android Lover
231 Posts
I've read your other thread as well. Quite interesting shit there. I did paste some of the commands you posted through ADB shell, i guess that is not the way to approach that. In any case, i will be following your work as again, it is good stuff.

·
Android Lover
231 Posts
oh, and i have 2 DX's that are not active so, these are just toys.
I really want to find what "Hack" wiped my nvs in the first place. I have it narrowed down pretty close to a couple (one being something to do with a CM4DX install or the the other being something to do with booting into CWR where versions went from 4 to 5 and things happened.

I at lease have a copy of my nvs for one of the phones :)

·
Android Lover
231 Posts
jerkwad, let me see what i can do. i'm gonna remove my nvs and try and build a new one from terminal. but first i'm going to load cm4dx on it (again)

oh, and no, i did not calibrate.

·
Android Lover
231 Posts
jerkwad said:
Thanks man! Looking forward to what you have in that file. I've never had horrible wireless performance, but the mac address shiz really drives me NUTS. if there is an easy way to address that, i'd be happy (enough). Seeing what a properly configured nvs file looks like would be a huge step in knowing if i'm even on the right path.

i figure by the time this is all sorted out, blackadept will have some awesome-sauce bash script that we can all run that will solve our woes. (but i still like to mess around at the command line AND i'm impatient) ;-)
I forgot to send to you. where do you want the file sent to? i can quickly change my mac or my last 4

·
Android Lover
231 Posts
Thanks Blackadept. when you rebuilt your nvs how many bytes did you get? and why do you think my other phone (not missing it's nvs) is 468bytes and the one that i built on the other phone is only 348(or around that) bytes?

·
Android Lover
231 Posts
well, then i could run all the same steps to create nvs on my phone that Still has one. How different should it be. i bet it will be more than 100 bytes different.

How is motorola creating the NVS files? and when are they doing it. they are not being recreated after we receive them....

·
Android Lover
231 Posts
I'm still confused as to How it's made then. If you put your phone back to stock IE, SBF etc, this file is not recreated. and the only way to get this file back is to do what you posted (now 11 posts back), and the file is different when you recreate it than what actually comes with the phone.

Also, if the NVS does not exist, and you build it with the commands above, the MAC address that is stored in the NVS is a 08:xx:xx... (or 00:08, can remember). So, the Mac address is not HARD coded in some firmware on a chip. if it was, then it wouldn't change every time.
Does Motorola Place the UNIQUE (being the MAC address in the file) NVS on each phone and use DEFAULT parameters for the rest?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts