Android OS Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Android Lover
231 Posts
oh, and i have 2 DX's that are not active so, these are just toys.
I really want to find what "Hack" wiped my nvs in the first place. I have it narrowed down pretty close to a couple (one being something to do with a CM4DX install or the the other being something to do with booting into CWR where versions went from 4 to 5 and things happened.

I at lease have a copy of my nvs for one of the phones :)

·
Android Mechanic
203 Posts
Yeah, has to be on the phone via terminal. Commands don't carry over thru adb shell too well, lol.

Oh and yeah, wiping the phone causes the loss of the nvs depending on from what to what. Basically, if it formats where its at, well ... it go bye bye. Also, changing drivers or versions, mapping, etc etc. will change it too.

Ps: I'm jealous lol, I want a dx I can hack and slash with dev-wise lmao. So much easier to take the leap on certain tests when you don't have to worry about borking the phone completely lmao.

Meh, maybe in a couple months if I get my new phone I can try flashing the boot stuff haha.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Android Beginner
13 Posts
"dangerous said:
Oh. and even Sweeter. both Phones had the Same Mac address, so i edited the bad phone with the Replaced NVS file and changed last two of the mac address so i now have xx:xx:xx:xx:bc:40 on one phone and xx:xx:xx:xx:bc:41 on the other.
Hey man, glad to hear that you got it working with a new mac address. I assume that you have not actually calibrated your bad phone with a new nvs bin right? I would love to see how your nvs file looks. Mine is basically empty and contains no useful information within it. Is it possible for you to attach yiurs here and maybe just x out part of your mac for obvious reasons? At least others can use that as a baseline for what to expect if and when they try this. Thanks!!

I did mine from abd so that could be my problem but figured it couldn't hurt to ask :)

Looking forward to that 'simpler' writeup by blackadept!

·
Android Beginner
13 Posts
dangerous said:
jerkwad, let me see what i can do. i'm gonna remove my nvs and try and build a new one from terminal. but first i'm going to load cm4dx on it (again)

oh, and no, i did not calibrate.
Thanks man! Looking forward to what you have in that file. I've never had horrible wireless performance, but the mac address shiz really drives me NUTS. if there is an easy way to address that, i'd be happy (enough). Seeing what a properly configured nvs file looks like would be a huge step in knowing if i'm even on the right path.

i figure by the time this is all sorted out, blackadept will have some awesome-sauce bash script that we can all run that will solve our woes. (but i still like to mess around at the command line AND i'm impatient) ;-)

·
Android Beginner
13 Posts
blackadept said:
Gonna look like a hex dump lol. :)

I'll post the instructions soon as I unborkify my computer.

Sent from my DROIDX
lol i figured as much! but when i look at mine, it is about 332 bytes in size and has about 4 funky characters in it. not what i would expect to see! ;-)

·
Android Beginner
3 Posts

·
Android Lover
231 Posts
jerkwad said:
Thanks man! Looking forward to what you have in that file. I've never had horrible wireless performance, but the mac address shiz really drives me NUTS. if there is an easy way to address that, i'd be happy (enough). Seeing what a properly configured nvs file looks like would be a huge step in knowing if i'm even on the right path.

i figure by the time this is all sorted out, blackadept will have some awesome-sauce bash script that we can all run that will solve our woes. (but i still like to mess around at the command line AND i'm impatient) ;-)
I forgot to send to you. where do you want the file sent to? i can quickly change my mac or my last 4

·
Android Mechanic
203 Posts
@jerkwad - haha yup, welcome to the world of android.... ELF/Java/.dex Java/ etc etc .... its fun for the familly! (Well manson's family anyways....)

@aarioch - hey NP bud. Wasn't an issue for me really .... I had actually been working on other projects. One of those is hostapd ... in the process I noticed this the other night and played around with it till it worked for me. Saw others were having issues so figured I'd share how I fixed mine in hopes it fixes theirs too. Of course now I have added more projects to the heap hahaha.

Great info there that you posted .... referenced it myself some. Just be careful you follow the right directions! Make sure its the right driver, right interface, right omap, right set-up, etc.. Otherwise, yeah its a great site. I have been using its tools to mess around with wifi myself and for referance too. Another good one to look at, again assuming you look up the right stuff, is omappedia or something or other. Good info there too.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Android Lover
231 Posts
Thanks Blackadept. when you rebuilt your nvs how many bytes did you get? and why do you think my other phone (not missing it's nvs) is 468bytes and the one that i built on the other phone is only 348(or around that) bytes?

·
Android Mechanic
203 Posts
Ermmm, 332, but mine isn't the best to go against lmao. You have to remember that I'm usually in perpetual state of tweaking something, working or not hahaha. I only have one phone so only way to test some stuff is to put it in there (yes I know the emulators and all that, but personally I don't use em anymore unless I have too. We'll just say there were some "incidents" lmao). Hence why I haven't tried any of the bootloader ideas.... haha.

That said you should in my post I talked about some of what is used to create the nvs. Considering that, you can see why the sizes can differ to a degree. Each one is being made for the individual device used to make it, suiting itself to the characteristics/variances/hw/sw/configuration, stuff like that; hell, where you live and how you use your phone ultimately can seperate them. This is why I suggested making it on the phone as opposed to just downloading one or using another persons' even if they have the same build and phone.

Food for thought is the next step past the nvs ...

Remember the wlan_loader? It uses the tiwlan.ini, fw_wl1271.bin, and the nvs_map. If I use a different version of any of those my end result can be different than yours, even if the function isn't, if you see what I mean.

So just using a random one .... well, it could work NP, it could possibly even make it better, or it could make it worse.... or not work right at all. I dunno bud, I just assume make it myself.

But then again, like I said, ATM mine is 332 lol. Been higher and lower, but not drastically so.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Android Lover
231 Posts
well, then i could run all the same steps to create nvs on my phone that Still has one. How different should it be. i bet it will be more than 100 bytes different.

How is motorola creating the NVS files? and when are they doing it. they are not being recreated after we receive them....

·
Android Mechanic
203 Posts
Motorola isn't making it really so I'd say they are making it pretty poorly, lol jp haha.

To answer the question about what is making it, well not gonna go crazy in depth here this late, so forgive the broad/generalized answer here...

The programming inside does, sorta.... remember the drivers license analogy? That file is made to lay down some of the more basic parameters or rules for the wl. As far as that goes, assuming the platform/hardware/software is all the same, not much changes. The other side of it tho is where you could see that as part of its creation is the initial calibrating of the wireless (as far as the new nvs is concerned), sort of a baseline to build off of. This *could* cause changes because part of what it is calibrating for are variances in certain values between calibration periods such as temperature, voltage, pogo stick riding skill, drunken extreme yo-yo mastery, and other causes for performance degradation.

Heh, sorry don't mean to make light, just tired. I'll try to make it a bit more clear tomorrow night. I just didn't want to leave yah hanging in case tomorrow turns into another fun filled non stop wee woo wee woo all over the city Friday night....

Guess simplest way to put it for now:

Its not what makes it so much as how it makes it.

Course, I coulda put it that way 10 posts and 479274 lines earlier... lmao

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Android Lover
231 Posts
I'm still confused as to How it's made then. If you put your phone back to stock IE, SBF etc, this file is not recreated. and the only way to get this file back is to do what you posted (now 11 posts back), and the file is different when you recreate it than what actually comes with the phone.

Also, if the NVS does not exist, and you build it with the commands above, the MAC address that is stored in the NVS is a 08:xx:xx... (or 00:08, can remember). So, the Mac address is not HARD coded in some firmware on a chip. if it was, then it wouldn't change every time.
Does Motorola Place the UNIQUE (being the MAC address in the file) NVS on each phone and use DEFAULT parameters for the rest?

·
Android Mechanic
203 Posts
sweet baby jesus I'm gonna drop kick the hamster running my internet ....dangerous just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten about you bud. having internet issues atm, have actually completely typed out 3 answers for you and all get eaten except for this here 2 liner...just wanted to let you know

21 - 39 of 39 Posts