Android OS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the microsoft build conference today they showed a qualcomm dev tablet with Q8060 chipset running windows 8... any possibility to get this running? They are releasing x86/x64 versions today of a development version but not yet ARM. I hope this will be possible! :D

·
Android Apprentice
18 Posts
The best thing I could see happening is this. A. We spam MS till they comply, totally joking, they'd fight just cause LOL. OK, so really ...

A. is we all ask really nicely for them to coerce Android Dev.s who have bought touchpads to play with and develop Apps for the Win 8 Tablets.

B. We ask them for beta licenses for the Windows 8 Tabs. ( Remember Win 7 starter was only* accessible to OEMs, maybe beta or Devs is different.)

C. They could gain a 'possible' beta or alpha field of at least 500K users ( would very with how simple the install is. )
- MS is known for quality products ( hey dont talk shit, they are very much among the best at what they do )
- And I dont think they will rush products or services like other companies without, properly configured and bug tested software like other companies (RIM cough cough)

D. They probably already have it. (or would be really really close, propitiatory software and firmware and all considered)

E. Going into the game with at least a 100K testers for free would be awesome for any company and a poor decision ( that should be discussed in the Wall Street Journal at this point after WebOS for tablets )

Thank this thread, If you would like to See WIN 8 on Touchpad

update: The ARM version will only support WIN 8 software, as of now they figure it would be too many headaches to offer and include functionality for backwards compatibility. So no Win XP, Vista, or 7 software support.

·
Android Master Jedi
377 Posts
Why? Windows 8 looks like wp7 to me. Last I checked, wp7 was like 5% market share (or some tiny number like that). That's a fail to me. Linux is far superior!!!

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT with Tapatalk

·
Android Apprentice
12 Posts
Please Please Please Please can we not let this thread degenerate into a Win is better then 'Nix is better then Win is better then 'Nix........

I started out as a mainly Win chap, these days I'm mostly 'Nix, however both have their strengths and weaknesses and frankly if I could have both on my TP that would be great as far as I'm concerned.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Developer preview is x86 only. I don't think MS will give direct access to Windows 8 for ARM except to OEMs. I don't want to be a buzz kill, but posting a windows image for everyone would go violate their licensing issues even if they were.

·
Android Apprentice
48 Posts
I love android and all but the windows 8 seems pretty awesome n looks like its designed for only touch and tablet bt is able to be used in pc. Wouldn't mind seeing that on the hp touchpad.

·
Interwebz Pirate
34 Posts
I'm starting to think my 16GB Touchpad isn't going to be big enough for the OS's, nevermind actually using it... :wub:

·
Average Android
56 Posts
You have to keep in mind that 99% of windows apps you are used to running are natively compiled. That means they won't run on ARM architecture (e.g.touchpad.) Never mind that MS probably won't sell ARM windows 8 outside of OEM channels (so running it on touchpad would be warez.)

·
Average Android
90 Posts
Taylored said:
tripple boot!
well then you better make sure you got a 32GB touchpad then, as I read the specs it requires 16GB..that's a huge footprint..

win7 on my ViewPad10 only takes about 12GB of my 32GB disk....but hey maybe I'll try it on my TouchPad..cause I got 2...16GB for the wife and
32GB for me...loved the hardware so couldn't resist...LOL

·
Media Guru
51 Posts
As nice as it would be, trust me it'd be awesome for me because I could DJ with a Touchpad using SAM Broadcaster, it's really going to be more of a pain that it is worth plus the limited amount of resources would be nearly impossible. If it was a bit more possible you'd see cheap Touchpads that have some sort of XP or Windows 7 architecture on Geeks.com or Newegg, like Archos. Right now a Windows Touchpad under $500 would be near impossible due to Windows and how they hostage their licenses.

·
Average Android
90 Posts
ApplesRevenge said:
I'm starting to think my 16GB Touchpad isn't going to be big enough for the OS's, nevermind actually using it... :wub:
ok..slapped it onto one of my pc's here (2.4 dual-core intel, with 2GB mem)..and it only took up 9GB installed...

so add some on like anti-virus/etc. and it appears to be about same footprint as on my ViewPad10 tablet...

so tomorrow think I'll throw it onto the ViewPad10 (intel Atom 1.66) tablet

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.