Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
20 Posts
Windows Root & S-off Guide

I am not responsible for any issues or anything bad that may come out of this guide. You will be doing so at your own risk voiding your warranty. Also please note this guide is fitted for Us cellular & Verizon. If you have a different carrier you may want to contact myself to confirm it works. This will also help gather files for other carriers. If you have HTC SYNC installed please remove it, as it will mess up adb. When following this guide it will erase all data. Also to note I put a good bit of time in this guide with that said do not copy any info with out permission from myself or a team member of my forum.

Setting up Adb:
If no one has done this that is fine. This will be simple and easy to follow so don't get pushed away to soon.

Step 1:
You need to download the following file: Click Here

Step 2:
Once downloaded, find the file where you saved it. Right click the file and open it with Windows Explorer like below.

Step 3:
You will get a window open like below. Click the circled extract all files.

Step 4:
In the window that pops up remove everything but C:\ Like shown.

Step 5:
Navigate to your C: directory. Do so by going to my computer/computer and clicking C:/ You should see a androidsdk folder as shown. If so continue to step 6.

Step 6:
Open up a cmd window. If vista or windows 7 click start, type cmd hitting enter. It will find cmd under programs. In other windows go to accessories > command prompt. Once open do the following:
Code:
cd /androidsdk/platform-tools
Then hit enter, which should look like below.

Step 7:
Then plug your merge in with usb debugging on. It will be under settings > applications & development. Once done type into the cmd window the following:
Code:
adb devices
Hit enter and it should look like below cept listing the merge as a device. It will be htc xxxxxxxxxx I don't know the exact numbers for the merge.

Step 8:
If it looked like above with out giving a error. Close the window and please continue below to creating a gold card if you have a carrier other than Verizon. If you have Verizon please skip it. You can also scroll back up and click hide spoiler to reduce the length of the post.[/spoil]

Creating a gold card:
Please click show spoiler to show the info.
Please note I do not recommend using your stock card & you need a card reader (Using the phone to do this will not work) . Either use a spare 1gig or go buy one they are cheap. At least you won't have a bummed I believe 8 gig card if you screw up. Also if you screw up you may be able to take it back. Though I don't condone to it if you have to do that just say it doesn't work. Not what you did.

Step 1:
Have your phone unplugged. With the card you are going to use to make a gold card. If you didn't shut the phone off putting it in, Please reboot. On the market search for gold card helper. When found download it. Upon opening your screen should look like the following with possible different numbers.

Step 2:
Go to the following link Click Here Once there enter your e-mail. For the SD Card Serial (CID) field. Enter the number from the mmc2 field. Make sure you do not enter the mmc0 number as it is your internal memory. After making sure it is correct enter your e-mail, select android and then do the key image.

Step 3:
Now go log into your e-mail for the address you provided. Download the attachment that was sent. You may want to move it to your desktop for easier access.

Step 3:
Now download the following file Click Here Once downloaded install it.

Step 4:
Now take the sd card out of your phone, Plug it into the card reader. Then open the program HxD or Hxd Hex editor. Please note if vista or windows 7. Right click and run as admin.

Step 5:
With the program open go to Extras > Open Disk. Uncheck open as read only at the bottom. Then select Removable disk under physical disks. If you have other usb storage devices plugged in. Remove them and re open Open Disk. It should look like below if so hit ok.

Step 6:
Go to Extras > Open disk image. Browse to your image, select it. Then open the image you downloaded. At the sector size prompt select 512 (Hard disks/Floppy disks). Hit ok, Where you should have two tabs open like so.

Step 7:
In the goldcard.img tab. Go to Edit > Select all. Then Edit > Copy

Step 8:
Click the Removable Disk Tab. Highlight offset (line) 00000000 to offset (line) 00000170 (including the 00000170 line). Like below.

Step 9:
Go to Edit > Paste write. Then go to File > Save, At the prompt accept it. You now have a gold card and can put it back in your phone. Rebooting for good measure. Proceed to S-off, Perm Room & ClockworkMod[/spoil]

S-off, Perm Room & ClockworkMod:

Step 1:
Download the following files ( They will be listed per carrier & what they are )
Exploits for temp root and s-off: Click Here
Downgrade image needed to run the exploits: Click Here
Misc-downgrade hex edited to allow the downgrade ( Please download the one for your carrier ) :
Uscc - Click Here
Verizon - Click Here
Ruu and/or rom backup files to go back to stock after the s-off process:
Uscc - Click Here
Verizon ( This is a backup ) - Click Here

Step 2:
Once everything is downloaded. Plug your phone into your computer, mounting the sd card. Once mounted copy the Misc-downgrade.img you downloaded to the root of your sd card. Then open the DowngradeImg, Extract the PD42IMG.zip to the root of your sd card or to the desktop. If extracted to your desktop move it to the root of your sd card. Do not extract the contents of the PD42IMG.zip. You need to have the actual PD42IMG.zip on the root of your card.

Step 3:
Unmount the sd card on your phone by switching to charge only. Open the Exploits.zip, Extract the exploits folder to your C:\androidsdk\platform-tools. Like below.
[attachment=0]S-off11.png[/attachment]

Step 4:
With that done is it is time to start the process. Open up a cmd window. If vista or windows 7 click start, type cmd hitting enter. It will find cmd under programs. In other windows go to accessories > command prompt. Once open do the following:
Code:
[attachment=8]adb15.png[/attachment]

Step 5:
If that is good we are going to push the exploits files. So do the following commands (Each line is a command) pressing enter after each on in cmd.
Code:
adb push exploits /data/local<br />
adb shell<br />
chmod 0755 /data/local/psneuter<br />
chmod 0755 /data/local/busybox<br />
/data/local/psneuter<br />
adb shell<br />
Step 6:
With that done the previous $ sign you were seeing should have changed to a # meaning root. This means we have temp root and can continue. If on a carrier that no ruu or system backup is listed you need to do the following. It should take about about 5 mins but may be up to 10 mins. If uscc please skip to 7.
Code:
<br />
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p25 of=/sdcard/system.img bs=4096
Step 7:
Now we are going to back up the misc partition. Also if I don't have the misc listed I need it to make the correct one for your carrier. Uscc and Verizon I already have.
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17 of=/sdcard/misc-stock.img bs=4096<br />
/data/local/busybox md5sum /sdcard/misc-stock.img<br />
/data/local/busybox md5sum /dev/block/mmcblk0p17
Double check the 2 numbers that popped up match. If they do not stop and contact myself or make a post.

Step 8:
Now we are going to flash the misc partition you downloaded and added to the sd card.
Code:
dd if=/sdcard/misc-downgrade.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17<br />
sync
You should get a file transfered in such and such time or so much size wize transfered.

Step 9:
Once the above is done unplug your phone. Power it off. Once powered off hold volume down and power. This will boot into the h-boot. The h-boot will begin to check for files on the sd card. Where it will find the PD42IMG.zip, It will start to load with a blue progress bar at the top right of the screen. It may flash a few times also. It will then prompt to update to push volume up for yes. Push volume up, waiting till you are prompted to push power to reboot. When prompted push power.

Step 10:
It will then reboot. Where you should see the Verizon boot loader. Skip the setup stuff then go and enable usb debugging. It may be on already though. If so plug your phone back into the pc. If you didn't close the cmd window skip to step 11. If you did reopen cmd & run the following command.
Code:

Step 11:
Now we are going to push the exploit files again. So do the following code in cmd.
Code:
adb push exploits /data/local<br />
adb shell<br />
chmod 0755 /data/local/psneuter<br />
chmod 0755 /data/local/wpthis<br />
chmod 0755 /data/local/gfree<br />
/data/local/psneuter
Step 12:
Now we are going to run the commands to gain s-off.
Code:
<br />
adb shell<br />
/data/local/wpthis	<br />
/data/local/gfree -f<br />
rm /sdcard/PD42IMG.zip
Step 13:
Now power down the phone. Boot into the h-boot using volume down and power. It should say s-off at the top. If so yank the battery to get out of the h-boot if no reboot option. When the battery is yanked put the battery back in, turning the phone back on.

Step 14:
Plug your phone in and mount the sd card. If uscc extract the PD42IMG.zip from the usccruu_img.zip. The put it on the sd-card. If you have a PD42IMG.zip on the root please remove it. If verizon do the following unzip the PD42IMG_1.49.605.1_no_system.zip and add your system.img from your memory card we dumped earlier to the zip. Rezip and rename to PD42IMG.zip and place on root of sdcard. If you have a PD42IMG.zip on the root please remove it.

Step 15:
Once the above is done unplug your phone. Power it off. Once powered off hold volume down and power. This will boot into the h-boot. The h-boot will begin to check for files on the sd card. Where it will find the PD42IMG.zip, It will start to load with a blue progress bar at the top right of the screen. It may flash a few times also. It will then prompt to update to push volume up for yes. Push volume up, waiting till you are prompted to push power to reboot. When prompted push power.

Step 16:
You should be prompted by you carriers boot animation. Now you can set up your google account and w/e else at the setup wizard if prompted. Now we are going to perm root and install cwm. So continue to step 16.

Step 17:
Mount the sd card. Remove the PD42IMG.zip. Download the following file Click Here and extract the PD42IMG.zip to the root of your card. Once done unplug your phone. Power it off. Once powered off hold volume down and power. This will boot into the h-boot. The h-boot will begin to check for files on the sd card. Where it will find the PD42IMG.zip, It will start to load with a blue progress bar at the top right of the screen. It may flash a few times also. It will then prompt to update to push volume up for yes. Push volume up, waiting till you are prompted to push power to reboot. When prompted push power. When rebooted power down yet again.

Step 18:
When rebooted mount your sdcard and remove the PD42IMG.zip. Then download this zip Click Here transfer it the root of your sd-card. Power down yet again. Boot to h-boot again via volume down and power. Use the volume buttons to navigate and power to select. Volume down goes down, volume up goes up. Select recovery. Inside of clockwork mod go to install zip from sdcard > HtcMergeRootToolkit_signed.zip. At the prompt select yes. When installed reboot the phone and make sure superuser installed to the app drawer. If so you can reboot to recovery and do a backup of your system image. To do that boot to h-boot as you did above select recovery. Then browse and select backup & restore. Then do a backup. When that is done it should go back to the main menu. Then select reboot system.

You are now s-off, suprer-cid, sim-unlocked, perm rooted, have cwm installed and a backup done.

Credits:
drellisdee: For building the cwm, vzw files, playing and figuring out how to downgrade, s-off and root. Along with posting the short how to. Though I changed some things

Agentz919: For being a test dummy
Thanks man.

·
Android Apprentice
20 Posts
Verizon did but but through 3rd party's was my understanding. Also thanks I got bugged enough to bring my stuff here in pm's. That I figured I would give it a go. Since this I am still playing with the bravoc how about a cdma desire section while I'm at it :)

Edit: On another note is the pics a ok size? I see you guys have the images to re-size but on the big side.

·
Average Android
85 Posts
guess you didnt want me stealing your thunder,eh? ;) it would have been nice if youd have replied to my pm so i wouldnt have started working on it.

but neither here,nor there,i guess... at least there is a guide here now.

ill offer the files i just finished uploading for users to simplify it a little bit.

these are baically your carrier RUU with clockwork allready installed,so use one of these instead of a carrier ruu from "shipped roms" at step 14,and you can eliminate15-17. once it boots, youre ready to remove the PD42IMG and go right to step 18. :)

PD42IMGalltel_upgrade.zip (208.45 MB) http://www.multiupload.com/E03RLAUPLA
PD42IMGalltel_upgrade.zip 3ea3b32dd61f70a379b50ea970303c14

PD42IMGusc_upgrade.zip (206.3 MB) http://www.multiupload.com/HLNOLT6V1O
PD42IMGusc_upgrade.zip 851c385445f998a568f918fe83249ec2

if you want to go straight to the gingerbread upgrade,use this:

PD42IMGgingerbread_upgrade.zip (217.38 MB) http://www.multiupload.com/Z21Y6MMTKX
PD42IMGgingerbread_upgrade.zip 4faae023d12406fc0a5ff7c19668c184

if someone can upload a dumped system image from the current verizon firmware,ill make one up for it too. the most current vzw ruu is 1.33.605.1,wich is not the newest firmware.

·
Android Apprentice
20 Posts
Well first I would rather not see you complaining on a forum that has nothing to do with me pming you back. You sent the pm at 9:42 pm when I was asleep. Then as for stealing my thunder or being what I seem to see as rude. I would think twice as I was asked by a few to bring stuff here but told them I didn't have the need nor time to do so. Followed by you wanted to use the images, files and what ever else out of the original guide I wrote to make your own here. I think it was only right for me to post it don't you think?

Also I am aware that a few steps can be shorter. Hence the reason why I haven't finished all the pictures. There is also more carrier specific stuff that I want to add which verizon isn't the only ruu that you are missing either.

·
Average Android
85 Posts
2 weeks ago when i asked if you had plans to post over here,you had no interest in this forum whatsoever. I send a pm asking if I can use your gold card guide when I reproduce delsridees guide,and next morning there's a whole guide! Guess it was a remarkable coincidence you had a change of heart ;)

But calm down,its cool. My main goal was to see a guide here,hopefully spark some more interest in this phone.

You don't need to include my uploads in the guide. I just wanted to get them out there for users that want to use them.if there's another ruu,link it and ill make up another. Unless you'd rather keep arguing than work together.

·
Android Apprentice
20 Posts
I am fine but neglecting to see what the course of bringing up stuff that doesn't have a need to be here. As I said you weren't the only one that has bugged me to post anything here. The original person that asked for the merge section here was the first to ask me if I would. Along with asked if I would work with a few dev's to get some more stuff on the merge. Which at that time I didn't have the merge to play with nor did I have the time to do anything.

Edit: I will add the files that you did to the guide if I knew what you did to them. As the uscc one I see you took and added one of the cwm's that I did I believe. Not sure of the version you put in it though with out flashing it.

·
Average Android
85 Posts
Good. I'm glad we are all fine ;)

The files are just the stock ruus,with the stock recovery removed and your 5.x clockwork added. I'd liked to have replaced the bootloader with a engineering one,but since one doesn't seem to exist,I just left all the hboots in place,figuring newer is better.

Since hboot flashing can be dangerous if caution isn't used,I've always been a fan of as few hboot flashes as possible. Swapping the recoveries saves time and is a lil safer IMO. :)

·
Android Apprentice
20 Posts
Ok that is fine. On another note why do you keep talking about a eng bootloader? All it does is gives you s-off till a firmware update comes out. In which 9 out of 10 times people update for it to be overwritten. So it is about useless.....

Right now we are radio s-off which is not overwritten by firmware updates. We also have the ability to toggle it on or off. So I am neglecting to see the need of a eng bootloader or even if you truely know why you want one. If it is for the fastboot commands 98 to 99% of people will never use fastboot commands or know what they are.

As technically speaking we don't really need them. Also if you brick the phone by flash a h-boot or radio something is wrong. As you can practically flash it as many times as you like just like a rom. If flashing either was a bad thing I don't think htc would put them in ruu's.

Edit:
b16 said:
Let people know we have a Merge section, people have been asking for a bit now. We are looking for USC devs btw ;-)
Your post wasn't there when I just replied but I have a few things done. Though not very far into in fully working ports due to the cdma desire stuff I still do. I am also not sure who was asking about the merge section but the one person that I kept seeing. Not saying you are wrong or anything, just the merge doesn't have many users. It probably won't either to be honest.

I will say most users of the merge followed myself where I won't release anything just here to bring them over. I will spread kind words for you guys though. On another note you never answered about the cdma desire section :) Don't give me the line like xda and one of the other forums to post in the gsm desire section. As it isn't going to happen. Along with is kind of stupid as neither share really anything in common but looks.

·
Average Android
85 Posts
2fast4u88 said:
Ok that is fine. On another note why do you keep talking about a eng bootloader? All it does is gives you s-off till a firmware update comes out. In which 9 out of 10 times people update for it to be overwritten. So it is about useless.....

Right now we are radio s-off which is not overwritten by firmware updates. We also have the ability to toggle it on or off. So I am neglecting to see the need of a eng bootloader or even if you truely know why you want one. If it is for the fastboot commands 98 to 99% of people will never use fastboot commands or know what they are.

As technically speaking we don't really need them. Also if you brick the phone by flash a h-boot or radio something is wrong. As you can practically flash it as many times as you like just like a rom. If flashing either was a bad thing I don't think htc would put them in ruu's.
wow,apparently i really have stepped on your toes,havent i? i agree most folks are never going to need the fastboot commands,but their existance is in my opinion enuff of a reason to use one if it existed. but thats just my humble opinion.

·
Android Apprentice
20 Posts
No I was judging from what I have seen I had the assumption you may have not of known what it's purpose was. I was also just saying we don't need one really at all. To package it in a ruu when really not needed I could see some users with bricks. Along with the average joe would only use it to flash a radio or recovery. Where that is generally faster using a fastboot zip than plugging in the phone. Cd this or that then run some commands. How ever as I said I have seen you talk about a eng bootloader in two threads now out off the few there is. I was truely asking if you knew what is was or the reasoning to wanting one.

If you believe that to be wrong to ask then I will say I am sorry. I was more curious if there was something I was missing that you knew. Yea if we had one I would possibly use it. Am I really worried about a eng bootloader? No not at all as we are already s-off. If you were speaking of what I said to the flashing the radio and h-boot. I was stating that you should have no issue flashing one. As in no brick.

As for what I am more worried about would be the kernel source :)

·
Average Android
85 Posts
im not particularly worried about it either,butit has enuff value i felt it was worth asking about.

as i said,if one were available that wasnt so old that its use with newer firmware would be questionable,then *i* feel its worth using. not so much to maniuplate the phone on a daily basis(packing things up in hboot files is easier and prolly safer for most users), but for rare recovery situations with no OS,no recovery,etc. in those situations ive seen advanced fastboot commands bring a device back to life that would NOT have been possible with an s-off,non-eng hboot. "peace of mind" i call it.

in a device who doesnt have radio s-off,its imperitave to have and protect it(with exception of aplharev/unrevokeds revolutionary permanent patched hboots). if the merge were such a device id have left the hboots out of the upgrade RUUs. but with radio s-off,as i mentioned,i feel the newest hboots are the better ones to use.

if i had my way,every device i own would be radio s-offed,and have an available patched or eng bootloader.

again,this is just my opinion,and as such i like to reccomend what i feel is the safest and best for users,even if they have no idea why ;).

·
Android Apprentice
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would have to agree on the unbricking. I will say it is pretty hard to get a brick on anything. Unless you are doing some intensive dev work or didn't follow directions. That is the main things I have seen to even cause a brick. Though I will say one person has killed two merges in a few days somehow. The first I think died due to hardware failure. The other one died from a unknown cause messing in the stock recovery. Though I doubt fastboot would have fixed either one. Luckly uscc is replace the replacement one.

I was under the impression you already tested the images. How ever that is nice to hear they work fine. I am waiting for the Acs dump before I decided to edit the guide how I planned.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts