Android OS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Dev and Samsung Leaker
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a lot of people have requested a CM7 port for the SK4G. Well, I am working to bring that to you.
I have already started the device tree, and waiting to receive the device which should be shipped around the 1st of July.
Once I receive the device, I will be able to complete the extract script, then start working on test builds.

If you are interested in learning about the project, or interested in donating for the device, please feel free to post in this thread and I'll give you more info.

I'm the only one working on this project, however I'm open for any help. (I think we have enough testers so no need to post "I'll help test" posts)

·
Android Apprentice
17 Posts
I would like to help with this project as best I can.

I have also heard, both from Vibrant users and from drhonk, that the Vibrant port of CM7 has had a lot of issues, is it possible that these issues would plague the SK4g as well? Would it make more sense to port AOSP instead?

I have experience in Linux, Windows, Mac, and some android, I know Java and VB, and am learning C#. I'm currently syncing the AOSP source, and am going to try to stumble through the build process from there. Any assistance would be appreciated.

·
Android Apprentice
34 Posts
either CM7 or AOSP would be awesome to have for this device! I like CM7 because it has it's own fully customizable settings, and all the little tweaks that I like, and yet still remains a very light ROM. I have my 64-bit Ubuntu system all set up to easily compile CM7 for all the supported devices, I just don't know how to do it for a new device..... but I'm sure that is what you are working on. I would be happy to be of any assistance if I could, and if you are willing to play teacher a little bit. cheers, and I hope the work goes well!

P.S. I saw your sidekick4g folder in the CM repo!

Sent from my SGH-T839

·
Average Android
418 Posts
Looking forward to it. My boyfriend is the one with the Sidekick 4G and he finally agreed to letting me root his phone as long as I can find a ROM he likes. And I gotta feeling he'll like the CM7 look :)

·
Android Beginner
2 Posts
irrelavant to the matter, I just realized your avatar states your from Salt Lake City @krylon360, that's cool! me too!

anyway, I look forward to everyone's creations. this is an awesome device, it deserves all your attention :)

·
Android Beginner
2 Posts
Of course it is, do you mind being patient?
there's a reason krylon360 figures rootz is better than XDA. .
please don't troll the community.

·
Android Enthusiast
266 Posts
teecruz said:
Of course it is, do you mind being patient?
there's a reason krylon360 figures rootz is better than XDA. .
please don't troll the community.
What the heck are you talking about? I just asked a simple question. No need to be rude. I just wanted to know if it was still being worked on or if it was abandoned. Thats all. And who said anything about XDA? And you say im trolling. Thats funny.

Sent from my Sidekick 4G using Tapatalk Pro App!

·
Android Apprentice
17 Posts
Don't worry about that guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about. This isn't currently being worked on by Krylon, as he never got his SK4G, and got wrapped up with the SGS4G and the G2X. I am, off and on, working on CM6/7 but they require a 2.6.35 kernel, where the only released source is 2.6.32, and the process of adding each piece that is special to this phone is proving more time consuming/tedious than originally anticipated. It's being worked on, but may take a while, unless Sammy decides to post the source for us.

·
Android Beginner
2 Posts
sduvick said:
Don't worry about that guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about. This isn't currently being worked on by Krylon, as he never got his SK4G, and got wrapped up with the SGS4G and the G2X. I am, off and on, working on CM6/7 but they require a 2.6.35 kernel, where the only released source is 2.6.32, and the process of adding each piece that is special to this phone is proving more time consuming/tedious than originally anticipated. It's being worked on, but may take a while, unless Sammy decides to post the source for us.
How sad :( I wish I could help, but my ROM modding expertise is nil.

·
Android Enthusiast
266 Posts
sduvick said:
I wish you all the luck. Hope you get it.

·
Android Beginner
2 Posts
SlashDW said:
Sucks that this is not being worked on anymore. And that its not going to happen till we get a good dev to work on it. :(

So how does one attract a good dev to work on it then?

·
Registered
2 Posts
signed up to say that i'd really like to see cm ported for the sk4g. although my capacity is limited to c/c++ windows/linux, and i've dabbled only a little in android app development, i'd like to help out in any way i can, especially since i have the actual phone.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts