Android OS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 121 Posts

·
I just hide here
Joined
·
2,237 Posts
ctcfirearms said:
I was entering / w p 1 1 2 f 2

but I figured out that it is / w p 1 l 2 f 2 ***note it is a lower case L between the 1 and the 2***

however, When i get to the mv nvs_map.bin part I still get - failed on 'nvs_map.bin' - cross-device link???
blackadept said:
Yup synk that's a lower case L not a 1 like poster above pointed out, so that line should read;

/ w p 1 l 2 f 2

So / (space) w (lowercase)(space) 1 (number)(space) l (lower case L)(space) 2 (number)(space) f (lowercase)(space) 2 (number)(space) \

And on from there. I figure maybe copy/paste from phones browser over. Damn lower case is hard to tell sometimes with different fonts, lots of asked me about that.

As far as the errors, what roms/builds y'all on? Depending on how you set up your terminal you might could also try:

# cp -rf /nvs_map.bin /system/etc/wifi
#mv -rf /nvs_map.bin /pds/wifi

It might just be wanting an absolute path and not let yah short-hand it. Also, with the errors and what not happening because of syntax, might want to make sure its actually being made, and made correctly, and outputting itself to the / directory.

As far as the other error, did either of you have another nps_map.bin file on your phone in any of the 3 spots? Also, what was the permission of the nvs prior to your moving it?

As for a zip, prolly not. Not cause I'm lazy (don't worry I am) or mean (depends on who you ask) but doesn't really make sense too. What I could do tho is look into make a simple script that you folks could run from wherever (prolly terminal tho) to automate it maybe.

I'll look into that and start writing it. Only issue might be that as its a W.I.P. I'm still trying to find the best calibration, ini edits, lib edits, that kind of stuff. Could suck if I did make the script and a day later it was changed, lol. Don't wanna get beat! Lol jp, yeah, I'll look into writing it. Good idear, will have to give me time tho as rl is crazy. Guess I could just make it basic for now tho till I test these other builds more...

Sent from my DROIDX
Awesome thx guys that worked. I also noticed that u dont really have to do that cp or mv thing from terminal u can actually just goto root explorer and copy and paste that file in the correct places
 

·
Android Beginner
Joined
·
40 Posts
Great work, thank you very much.

It works great on my Droid 2 Global, the Mac Address is not changing anymore.
Is there anyway to change the Mac Address in this file? I want to set the default one

***Nevermind, it worked with the HexEditor. Use it on nvs_map.bin

Oh, btw, within terminal I got the error where I could not move the file since the directory was Read Only, so I used Rootz Explorer to copy it manually to the pds/wifi and etc/wifi folder and it worked great
 

·
Android Mechanic
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes you can edit the nvs with any hex/binary editor. Only reason I haven't put that up is due to the touchyness of doing that. Changing the file can cause issues with the other files expecting one thing and getting another.

Basically, yeah you can make your MAC whatever you want....however, if done incorrectly it can lead to complete loss of data; no internet, tapatalk, nothing.

Just try and remember.... every phone has two MAC's in a way. The one seen and used (and now made by us :) ), and the one "hidden" "unused" one (yes I know it IS used, just saying for general purposes ... ) native to the device (just like a comp), so if you mess with it without knowing what your doing ... bad things can happen lol.

Sent from my DROIDX
 

·
Average Android
Joined
·
275 Posts
Ok I give up. I tried the whole process to the T, it gives an error at copying stage. if I do "ls" it doesnt even find nvs_map.bin in the current directory. so its not creating the nvs map. although the creation processor doesnt give an error. I am using .605 stock, deodexed with Jakebite and supercharger mods.
Before doing anything I do "su " and "sysrw". Tried creating a sample folder in the current directory to check whether I have write permission or not, it does create the folder.
I used both form of cp command
 

·
Android Mechanic
Joined
·
203 Posts
Do you know it wasn't made or just don' t think it was made based off of the mv error in terminal? If you know it wasn't made then we can go from there. If you just think it wasn't made because terminal wouldn't move it but didn't manually look, I'd start there. Use root explorer or whichever you use and check under the / directory *make sure your in the / tho and not in /data or /system or something* if it's there, cool - just move it manually. If it ain't there, well again ... we can go from there.

Also you can try the command with as /nvs_map.bin instead ... sometimes it likes to have all the path and sometimes it doesn't care lol
 

·
Supporting Member
Joined
·
19 Posts
blackadept said:
Do you know it wasn't made or just don' t think it was made based off of the mv error in terminal? If you know it wasn't made then we can go from there. If you just think it wasn't made because terminal wouldn't move it but didn't manually look, I'd start there. Use root explorer or whichever you use and check under the / directory *make sure your in the / tho and not in /data or /system or something* if it's there, cool - just move it manually. If it ain't there, well again ... we can go from there.

Also you can try the command with as /nvs_map.bin instead ... sometimes it likes to have all the path and sometimes it doesn't care lol
Mine is not being created at all - all goes well, but when I check those folder locations and do root explorer search, there is no file that has been created

Maybe that's why I'm getting the "cross device Link" error?

thanks,

Droid X
Running 2.3.3
4.5.602.MB810
BP_C_01.09.13P
[email protected] #2
Apex 2.0 RC3
 

·
Android Mechanic
Joined
·
203 Posts
Hmm so it is not giving any errors when being made, but afterwards its not in the root directory? Hmm that's weird.

Just out of curiosity what is listed in your /system/etc/wifi, /pds/wifi, and /data/misc/wifi folders? Maybe its something to do with 602 and apex as opposed to 2nd init roms. If you have the means to email whatever is in those too it'd help, [email protected].

I'll look into that error tho and see what I can find if I can recreate it and whatnot. Usually you get that if you are creating the wrong file for the phone or using one for a different device (hence the cross device part). My guess is maybe the files? It should give errors if it fails to create when those commands are given.
 

·
Average Android
Joined
·
559 Posts
So apparently it's the flashing of a new nightly (Rev's 9-28 build in my case) that removes the nvs_map.bin files. Hopefully he does incorporate the scripting in this thread into his builds. It could get tiring running this every time otherwise.
 

·
Androidian Finagler
Joined
·
443 Posts
Don't think its nightly related. This went on me a month or 2 ago - right about the time the .602 leak appeared in tbh app. Used to restrict router access by mac - couldn't connect for nothing after .602 was flashed - found my mac was not the same as I had in router - and it's been KILLING me all this time.
We good now!!!
FYI - had to run this 3 times before bin file was created - DX cm7gb 9-29 - best to sysrw before starting. ALso - have been flashing cm since build 1, and cmgb since the first - every nightly - problem was after .602 from tbh. Not saying it was tbh problem though - most likely it was 602.

And to end

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

Did I say Thanx already ...............
 

·
Supporting Member
Joined
·
19 Posts
blackadept said:
Hmm so it is not giving any errors when being made, but afterwards its not in the root directory? Hmm that's weird.

Just out of curiosity what is listed in your /system/etc/wifi, /pds/wifi, and /data/misc/wifi folders? Maybe its something to do with 602 and apex as opposed to 2nd init roms. If you have the means to email whatever is in those too it'd help, [email protected].

I'll look into that error tho and see what I can find if I can recreate it and whatnot. Usually you get that if you are creating the wrong file for the phone or using one for a different device (hence the cross device part). My guess is maybe the files? It should give errors if it fails to create when those commands are given.
Blackadept,

You are the man! That last fix, the ( / slash ) before the nvs_map.bin worked! You're also right; the folder was already created (my bad). I think I checked for that file so damn much that I gave up the last time before the screenshots. All I had to do was copy it into the other folder and then execute the init.mapphone_cdma.rc. Thank you for your assistance and I hope you know how valued your contributions are! :grin:

Thanks again and keep up the great work,

ctcfirearms
 

·
Android Beginner
Joined
·
70 Posts
So I went through the process and I have the nvs file in both locations but am still having problems. The wifi turns on now (before it would just say error or continually turn on and off) and connects to neworks but when i try to access the internet through something it says "no network connection". Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Micah

I actually just fixed it by going back to a back up I had.
 

·
Android Lover
Joined
·
231 Posts
SaurusX said:
So apparently it's the flashing of a new nightly (Rev's 9-28 build in my case) that removes the nvs_map.bin files. Hopefully he does incorporate the scripting in this thread into his builds. It could get tiring running this every time otherwise.
that's about when mine went bad. I flashed about 40 of the CM7 official, then i switched and Poof.. Sad thing is, i think now there is [under the breath] an "oops" to be heard... :)

Oh well, we can't blame anyone but ourselves for breaking things on our phones when we flash..
 

·
Android Mechanic
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Sorry I am just now getting back you Micah.... normally I try my best to be quicker, things are just crazy right now (hell I'm actually wearing cat and brains right now just to give an example....). Regardless, I'm glad to hear it helped and more so glad to hear you fixed whatever was causing the connectivity issue! Data can be a fickle thing on android sometimes I am finding while experimenting with this stuff. Take this browser for example, I made it from scratch mixing and matching diff source compiling. Still testing it I tweak internal values for different builds.... last night I literally changed one of the thru-put values by 1 .. literally ONE point ... and when installed completely kaboomed my data lol. Soon as I took it off and lowered it by 1 again, *poof* phone is happy again lol.

So yeah, glad you got it fixed and sorry I didn't get back to iou sooner! Any other issues let me know.

And dangerous, lol so true. But we all have em ... trust me... lmao if only you knew how many 'oops' moments I have .... ahaha.
 

·
Android Beginner
Joined
·
4 Posts
Hallo!

Can't wait to get this to work, my random mac addresses have been killing me!!

I have this issue though:
wlan_cu -itiwlan0 -b
ERROR - IPC_STA_Private_Send - error sending Wext private IOCTL to STA driver (ioctl_cmd = 800003, res = -1, errno = 1)
user_main, start
\> Driver/, Connection/, Management/, Show/, Privacy/, scAn/, roaminG/, qOs/, poWer/, eVents/, Bt coexsistance/, Report/, dEbug/, biT/, aboUt, Quit
And then when I run the next commands I just get stuff about "device not loaded". I have wifi on and not connected to any network...

Thanks!
 

·
Android Apprentice
Joined
·
12 Posts
YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ended up with a replacement about a month ago because of this. Spent an hour on the phone with Verizon tech then another 45 minutes with Motorola........they were clueless.

Posted a link to your thread in a couple other forums where eberyone was beating their collective heads against the wall over this....

Much respect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,241 Posts
thegreyspot said:
Hallo!

Can't wait to get this to work, my random mac addresses have been killing me!!

I have this issue though:

And then when I run the next commands I just get stuff about "device not loaded". I have wifi on and not connected to any network...

Thanks!
Type su and then dmesg and then run rest of commands.
 

·
Android Mechanic
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
ttavis323 said:
YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ended up with a replacement about a month ago because of this. Spent an hour on the phone with Verizon tech then another 45 minutes with Motorola........they were clueless.

Posted a link to your thread in a couple other forums where eberyone was beating their collective heads against the wall over this....

Much respect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Haha, well damn ... thanks, just glad it could help! I feel you with the tech support folks, they are horrendous at Verizon and Motorola both... tho has to be said you can get some pretty good ones once you get to tier 3+, of course to get that high you need a small miracle, 10 Twinkies, a handful of $100 monopoly bills, and another miracle.....

As for the problem with wlan ... what BMc said, are you root? And what does dmesg tell you?

Sent from my DROIDX
 
21 - 40 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top