Android OS Forum banner
81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I realize this thread is kind of old, but I'll post anyways. I ran through the tutorial, got the nvs_map and changed the init.mapphone script (as well as the one located in the hijack-boot.zip just in case). However, whenever I manually execute it, I don't notice any additional folders being created (done through Root Explorer). If i try to run the script in script manager, it tells me that permission is denied and the script never runs. This is leading me to believe that Root Explorer isn't actually doing anything and thus I can't complete the final step of the tutorial. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Android Helper
1,687 Posts
I realize this thread is kind of old, but I'll post anyways. I ran through the tutorial, got the nvs_map and changed the init.mapphone script (as well as the one located in the hijack-boot.zip just in case). However, whenever I manually execute it, I don't notice any additional folders being created (done through Root Explorer). If i try to run the script in script manager, it tells me that permission is denied and the script never runs. This is leading me to believe that Root Explorer isn't actually doing anything and thus I can't complete the final step of the tutorial. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Number one, what does root explorer have anything to do with it?
Number two, when you setup your script in Scriptmanager, did you flag it to run as root?
Number three, did you setup Scriptmanager to mount system as read/write?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Number one, what does root explorer have anything to do with it?
Number two, when you setup your script in Scriptmanager, did you flag it to run as root?
Number three, did you setup Scriptmanager to mount system as read/write?
The OP said the script can be run in either Root Explorer or Script Manager. I was just pointing out that Root Explorer says the script ran (but I don't see a bunch of folders created like the OP says). I do have Script Manager running as root and the system mounted as R/W. Do I need to somehow mount the rootfs as R/W (i.e. does mounting the system only mount "/system")?

I just ran it again in Script Manager and didn't get permission denied this time...I attached a text file of its output if that helps.

Attachments

·
Android Helper
1,687 Posts
The OP said the script can be run in either Root Explorer or Script Manager. I was just pointing out that Root Explorer says the script ran (but I don't see a bunch of folders created like the OP says). I do have Script Manager running as root and the system mounted as R/W. Do I need to somehow mount the rootfs as R/W (i.e. does mounting the system only mount "/system")?

I just ran it again in Script Manager and didn't get permission denied this time...I attached a text file of its output if that helps.
post the script you're trying to run

·
Deadly_Hamsters
3,899 Posts
I have followed this to the letter. On step 5 when I check for nvs_map.bin in /pds/wifi its not there. I didn't see any strange errors when running commands.

Sent from my ICS/CM9 Droid X

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have followed this to the letter. On step 5 when I check for nvs_map.bin in /pds/wifi its not there. I didn't see any strange errors when running commands.

Sent from my ICS/CM9 Droid X
nvs_map.bin was always in data/misc/wifi after I ran through the commands. Doing this fixed my MAC address changing but wifi still bugs out after a few hours and will never connect again so I made the plunge to a Galaxy Nexus

·
Android Master
3,956 Posts
nvs_map.bin was always in data/misc/wifi after I ran through the commands. Doing this fixed my MAC address changing but wifi still bugs out after a few hours and will never connect again so I made the plunge to a Galaxy Nexus
That seems like a fairly expensive fix, lol.

·
Android Beginner
28 Posts
Ezy, I wouldn't do that just yet. First try cleaning out your internet browsers. Also you could try booting into recovery and wipe your cache (not your data remember). Then there is always the trick of forgetting the network and reconnecting, similarly you could reset the router itself either normally or unplugging its power cable and leaving it disconnected for ~30 secs and then plugging it back in.

Also, depending on what Rom, kernel, and what other mods you have installed it could be being caused by a bug on that end as there have been plenty seen over time. All in all there's lots you can try, including remaking the bin, however I'd save that for last.

Zek, glad you figured it out! Lil bastard can be pretty good at hide and go seek ... Haha.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
Hi blackadept...

So I got pretty busy there for a long time and had to put my wifi issues on the backburner. I did try firstencounters ICS build, and my wifi worked great on it, but had to come back to the Pooka CM7GB builds for stability and the other features missing from ICS. Plus I got a Asus TF Prime, so I've been playing with that, however, I'm still having connectivity issues.

After flashing multiple different ROMS, SBFing, clearing cache, all that fun stuff, my wifi will still connect but it is still nearly useless. Now that I'm back on CM7GB, my Wifi issues have returned.

I decided to go through the process to create the nvs_map.bin again after deleting one I found in / .

First observation is that the output for my / w p 1 l 2 f 2 does not put "set_dc0_itrim" at the end like your instructions say it should. Second observation is that the nvs_map.bin is created in / and not /pds/wifi or /data/misc/wifi . Finally, after modifing my init.mapphone_cdma.rc file to your second suggestion, the dmesg output looks like it is trying to do something, however, buried towards the top of the TIWLAN stuff is something like "NVS not found... Setting default MAC".I ran it with the wifi both on and off, but it didn't seem to make much difference.

Any further help with this is seriously appreciated!

·
who needs drugs when you have a Nexus (CrackFlashe
287 Posts
had this issue with my DX (this fixed it and its still fixed , now its doing it with My Gnex after flashing an AOPK rom, something to do with kernel code from what i understand, anyone have luck doing this on their Gnex, or is the radio version different... ive seen posts with other devices doing the same thing, with the same fix used, but the radio part " / t r h 0 7 " is different, any sugestions?

·
Android Mechanic
203 Posts
O wow, hell ladies and gents sorry I hadn't replied to this post. I picked up my nexus a couple days after launch and at the time this thread had died down and I just plain forgot about it, I do apologize. Unfortunately there's a crap load of posts to catch up on and I haven't slept since weds so I'll try to hit as much as I can and will finish tomorrow.

First I'll finish my little disclaimer by pointing out it might be a bit rusty as i haven't worked on the x in quite sometime save for helping a buddy out (bmc shout out). For the same reason I'll start by answering one of the last questions, seeing as how I have a nexus and can't use the same excuse lmao.

The gnex uses a very different system for its wifi's software/firmware. There isn't too great a need to do the manual calibration via basically, at least in my mind, a glorified .config file. All those numbers and letters and spaces and whatnot all signify a configuration setting for the phones wifi, everything from interface, mode, power, and throughput, right down to what flavor fail flakes it chooses to have that morning. This is why you will see differences in said configuration values, different phones call for/can handle different things. The coding itself is fairly ubiquitous amongst a large number of phones due to the prevalence of TI and that chip as well as the omap boards. As a matter of fact the reason that second post I reserved was never filled is because you can actually force the hardware to believe its full-out top-of-line N and "activate" a whole slew of mods such as burst mode, etc. Only problem is .... while it thinks it is and says it is .... it really ain't lol, its merely mimicking in title alone what other phones can actually do. The gnex however has a much more robust and easy to use configuration method (and source code lol), hence the lack (more or less) of crazy strings of digits. Also it uses a different file configuration then the X and the nv is created/stored/used/ etc differently.

Another quark of the wifi system is responsible for another issue somebody had, if I had to take a blind guess that is, as it was the culprit many times over in the past. One of the most fickle and annoying problems a lot of android phones used to have (some still do) is the wpa_supplicant.conf file. Normally this file is pretty harmless, which is good considering it stores information that makes the wifi all happy and stuff, in this case though it could easily turn into a pain in the ass. This is because normally if the file gets updated with new info it just takes it or if needed remakes itself ... the X's however doesn't always act like that. Instead its supplicant file erases itself entirely if you tamper with it at all, hell even when the system does it it still will erase itself or become empty/blank. When this happens your wifi is unable to really function as it doesn't have its info and it makes it go bat shit until its properly remade by the system. One thing you could maybe try the next time it goes wonky on you (assuming you have a backup and/or replacement on your SD or somewhere) is to make it write able much the same as you would edit a grub.cfg file in linux. In a terminal try:

chmod +w /path/to/wpa_supplicant.conf

Then either fill the info back in or repeat the commands except make the replacement write able as well before you replace em. Once your done with either choice and everything's gravy just undo the command:

chmod -w /path/to/wpa_supplicant.conf

Careful tho, while it works just fine for grub I havent tried it myself on the pita supplicant.conf of the x.

As to the discrepancy of where the nv files are supposed to go, you are correct in that it usually goes where it needs to on its own. However, for whatever reason, it doesn't always go there so (for me it had appeared in /data like it should have but also had appeared in / and /system too). I added that line to cover all the bases and so folks didn't freak out if it showed up somewhere else, guess that game plan backfired lol...

Another line that was asked about was the init edit. All of those init scripts come from the boot.img and are created every boot, which is why even after editing them they go back. As to why root explorer didn't work for you I'm not sure, I'm going to guess it was an issue with permissions. You can also proc the script via the emulator or try not editing the script as well.

Again I apologize for not seeing this in so long and should prolly apologize for the rambling wall of text too lol, sleep deprivation is a bitch haha. I will try to get back and finish answering questions and helping those that still need it out. For future reference tho please feel free to pm me if I don't respond here as I normally don't read thru these boards anymore.

Edit: mig pm me a log of your gnex. I haven't heard of this issue on our nexus. I more or less use aokp in a way too and haven't had an issue, so I'd be interested to see what's up.

·
Android Mechanic
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
OK guys, unfortunately I don't have time to go as in depth as I wanted to, also I am not sure who is still having issues or who is not. So if you need help please pm me as I won't be checking this post very often anymore, only when updating it if I have a reason too.

·
Developer
1,187 Posts
Just want to say Thank You to BlackAdept. With his permission, his wifi fix is scripted and added into bootmenu (in the Fixes section).

Thank You!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

·
Chief Molesting Officer
308 Posts
That's something you added a while back right? Pretty sure I saw something like that in the BM you included with 4.5 version of your MIUI ROM.

Anyway, a big thanks to both of you for (BlackAdept for building it and Wizard0f0s for utilizing it).

·
Developer
1,187 Posts
That's something you added a while back right? Pretty sure I saw something like that in the BM you included with 4.5 version of your MIUI ROM.

Anyway, a big thanks to both of you for (BlackAdept for building it and Wizard0f0s for utilizing it).
Yep, it is. I just hadn't posted it on here. Also wanted to publicly thank BlackAdept for coming up with the fix.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

81 - 100 of 121 Posts