Android OS Forum banner
101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Android Beginner
7 Posts
Does anyone have a link to a script that automates this process? It seems to work for me sometimes, but is definitely gone again upon a reboot. If I could just run a script each time I rebooted, that would be amazing.

Clearly, wizard0f0s does have some sort of script for this, but I'm not running MIUI. Could I somehow get the MIUI bootmenu going on my Gummy? Or any other links to a script? I've searched high and low...

Thanks!

·
Android Beginner
7 Posts
Actually, now I'm facing a more important issue: when I start Terminal, then su and dmesg, all is well. But then when I type [background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]wlan_cu -itiwlan0 -b [/background]
I get a message
sh: wlan_cu: not found

I'm running 4.0.4 Gummy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Developer
1,187 Posts
Actually, now I'm facing a more important issue: when I start Terminal, then su and dmesg, all is well. But then when I type [background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]wlan_cu -itiwlan0 -b [/background]
I get a message
sh: wlan_cu: not found

I'm running 4.0.4 Gummy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Wlan_cu should be in your /system/bin folder. You may be able to run the cm9 bootmenu on Gummy. You can get it from goo if you want to try. I would definitely make a nandroid first. Wouldn't hurt to ask about it in the gummy thread too.

GOO site - http://goo.im/devs/wizard0f0s Just drill down into the Hijacked_Bootmenu folder. You should see a cm9 folder and the flash inside of there.

I can also just send you the script if you would rather. Either way, it still depends on the wlan_cu being available first though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

·
Android Beginner
7 Posts
Wlan_cu should be in your /system/bin folder. You may be able to run the cm9 bootmenu on Gummy. You can get it from goo if you want to try. I would definitely make a nandroid first. Wouldn't hurt to ask about it in the gummy thread too.
Hey, thanks for the prompt reply -- this is very helpful, I appreciate it!

Weirdly, I don't have wlan_cu in my system/bin or anywhere else. Perhaps I could restore an old nandroid, copy it to my sdcard and restore it again. Would that work? Or perhaps someone could send me / link the file?

I would love to have the script directly, if that's not too much of a bother.

Thanks again. It's a bit crazy how kind people are on here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the same problem was gautamrao. I don't have wlan_cu installed on my Droid x running Gummy or the may 9th AOKP, the bootmenu nvs.map fix doesn't work because of this either, I am missing my nvs file and every time I connect to wifi I have a new MAC address and eventually it causes problems on the router, not sure when this started happening just a few days ago probably.

·
Developer
1,187 Posts
Hey, thanks for the prompt reply -- this is very helpful, I appreciate it!

Weirdly, I don't have wlan_cu in my system/bin or anywhere else. Perhaps I could restore an old nandroid, copy it to my sdcard and restore it again. Would that work? Or perhaps someone could send me / link the file?

I would love to have the script directly, if that's not too much of a bother.

Thanks again. It's a bit crazy how kind people are on here.
Sorry dude, life got crazy. I'll have the script up here shortly. It's actually 2 files - 1 is the script and the other is the instructions to the wlan_cu binary.

I'm not sure why you don't have the wlan_cu in /system/bin. I'll package mine with the script files (along with some instructions). Actually, would it be easiest if I just made a flashable patch for it or would you rather have the files individually? If a flashable, do you want it to run every boot or have to run it manually when needed?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anything would be good man, I appreciate it. I can't speak for the other guy but I am familiar with linux and if you don't want to make a zip I'm cool with it, any help is very appreciated.

It really sucks when your wlan_cu disappears, lol. As a workaround I have my DHCP lease set to 400 minutes and the max DHCP licenses increased to 100. If you can't fix your random MAC addresses this will at least keep your router from screwing up if the droid x taking out 50 DHCP leases a day becomes a problem for it.

·
Developer
1,187 Posts
Built and uploaded to Goo. Just waiting for the site to refresh their cache for the zip to show up and I'll post the link.

Edit - Ok, here you go, flashable form - http://tinyw.in/QrnW

Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I haven't run Gummy yet, so I've made a couple of assumptions:

1) Gummy has init.d support. This "should" be a safe assumption
2) Gummy hasn't completely changed the wifi configuration. Meaning there is a /system/etc/wifi directory and the init scripts still look to load the nvs_map from the normal places (the script copies to both common locations so it should be ok).

If anybody does run into problems, please let me know. I'll pull Gummy down and take a look at how it runs and what it expects.

·
Developer
1,187 Posts
Anything would be good man, I appreciate it. I can't speak for the other guy but I am familiar with linux and if you don't want to make a zip I'm cool with it, any help is very appreciated.

It really sucks when your wlan_cu disappears, lol. As a workaround I have my DHCP lease set to 400 minutes and the max DHCP licenses increased to 100. If you can't fix your random MAC addresses this will at least keep your router from screwing up if the droid x taking out 50 DHCP leases a day becomes a problem for it.
I know the feeling. My DX would eventually crash my router because of all the DHCP addresses being in use. That's what finally got me to script it and put it into bootmenu. I just got tired of it crashing my router all the time.

·
Goosie Pizzle
2,582 Posts
Built and uploaded to Goo. Just waiting for the site to refresh their cache for the zip to show up and I'll post the link.

Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I haven't run Gummy yet, so I've made a couple of assumptions:

2) Gummy hasn't completely changed the wifi configuration. Meaning there is a /system/etc/wifi directory and the init scripts still look to load the nvs_map from the normal places (the script copies to both common locations so it should be ok).

If anybody does run into problems, please let me know. I'll pull Gummy down and take a look at how it runs and what it expects.
Gummy has init.d support. I'd assume WIFI config is the same as any other ICS ROM. The most recent change that the DX supports for WIFI is .621. I haven't heard if thats backwards-compatible though (i.e. the libs from .621 work on .605) I know .605 blur libs break WIFI on .621, but I haven't heard the reverse. So far, only heard good about integrating .621 libs into .605 ROMs :) It's like VZW inadvertently gave an extra life to the DX for ICS development.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just flashed that fix to my droid, wlan_cu seems to start now but always throws up an error if you try to run it. I tried to run the nvs_map fix inside BootMenu 1.15 as well as enter the commands in terminal, it pretty much always gives the same error.

I attached a screenshot

Thanks again

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I went through all the steps of post 1 on this thread and everything looked the same, but at the end no [background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]nvs_map.bin file was created at the end, so nothing to move anywhere, didn't show up with ls right after and doesn't show in root explorer, unless it gets copied to some directory other than /[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]I seem to be getting pretty close though, one thing I noticed when you type one of those commands it generates a MAC address with the 08 08 BS multiple MAC address error, I don't know if that matters or not, looked fishy.[/background]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Got it to make my nvs.map.bin file, moved them to the right places, the script didn't execute properly at the end but I was messing with it and somehow the errors in dmesg were gone and the nvs_map was loaded.

Now it seems like my MAC address is sticking, my router isn't loaded with tons of DHCP leases and different MAC addresses yay, thanks guys.

I really appreciate that zip file WizardofOS, I couldn't find that file anywhere on the Internet. It might be a good idea to include that fix in a new version of your Bootloader maybe? When the wlan_cu disappears you are really screwed on WiFi.

I'm not even sure how I deleted those files, I've been haphazardly flashing through CM9 Gummy and AOKP nightlies, and I'm sure somewhere along the way I lost those critical WiFi files.

Crazy how an SBF does not fix this problem and people returned their phones to Verizon over this back in the day.

Thanks again

·
Android Beginner
37 Posts
I just tried both the script and the fix from bootmenu, but the NVS_Map file isn't anywhere and my MAC still changes frequently.

Now what?
I re-ran the process using the manual method outlined in the first post (after su elevation which someone might want to edit into that first post).

When it got to the part about moving/copying the nvs_map.bin file, the file wasn't there. I read through the thread further and saw someone suggested looking in a couple of other places. I found it in data/misc/wifi and copied it to pds/wifi and then moved it to system/etc/wifi.

My MAC address is now not changing and I'm able to use static DHCP again.

Not sure why the script or bootmenu process didn't work for me (pretty sure I did check those directories after I ran those processes), but I guess I'm all set now.

I did not do step #6 in the OP either.

Thanks to everyone who posted assistance in this thread.

·
Registered
11 Posts
welp. this worked the first time i did it and confirmed that the MAC matched in wifi settings/advanced and settings/about phone/status but after a reboot a different MAC was getting generated. toggling wifi on and off as well. this is the most outrageous thing ever after flashing rom's. it's crazy how this problem follows you even after sbf'ing. blows my mind.

·
Registered
19 Posts
can some please help?

I opened Terminal Emulator.

SU
wlan_cu -itiwlan0 -b

sh: wlan_cu: NOT FOUND

I don't understant whats wrong.

Using Droid X Gummy1.2

·
Registered
19 Posts

The link is not working would you please re-upload wlan_fix_blackadept.zip

101 - 120 of 121 Posts