Android OS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 and got ADB set up and running a few days ago thanks to the script that Tahl made located here: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/16064-script-ubuntu-adb-aapt-apktool-android-sdk-ndk-and-udev-rules-auto-installer/ Anyway, I'm doing a lot of research on google about it and so far I've learned how to pull and push files, reboot the phone a few different ways and such which is great but I'm trying to learn as much as I can with linux commands in general but more specifically right now adb, so besides google does anyone have any specific sites to check out or any advice in general? Anything could probably be of some benefit at this point so what ever you guys are thinking say whats on your mind
Anyway thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to hearing from the community :)

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey yarly, thanks for the links they're wicked good... I added them to the list of sites I found on my own and will be going through as much of it as I can tonight and for as long as it takes :)

doug piston, omgg how much I know your right and to be honest I really enjoy the command line lol, its just with getting adb installed umm for now I'd just rather have it installed and know its there when I need it... it is the only exception that I am making for the lazy route btw. It just for now seems like it would be a better choice to start with simpler things until I get a reasonable grip on the basics and have that as a definite resource, hell when I feel up to it I may even uninstall it just to install it the right way for the experience, just for now I don't want to risk not having adb at my side if that makes sense. But no matter what you are 110% right and as I said everything else I do is all going command line

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Glad you like them. The guy that does the Learn 'x' the hard way series tends to have really good books on programming related things if you happen to look at any of his others (and they're all free as long as you only need an online copy).

·
n00blet
142 Posts
joebow,

I completely understand that feeling. I ran Ubuntu for about 6 Mons then decided I want to know more about the inner workings of Linux. Made the jump to ArchBang and learned quite a bit and then finally moved on to ArchLinux. I just figure the only real way to learn was to cut all ties to GUI's and anything remotely close to "Windows". Sure it sucked for awhile but now, I would never go back. I am still very much an "newb" to Linux but I don't ever need a GUI to get anything done at all. My Pandora runs from CLI, my desktop no longer has a screen attached to it, and I completely redid my whole WM.

Long story short, if it is something you really want to learn, kill the easy and just deal with it. You will be shocked firstly by how easy it actually is, and secondly, if ish hits the fan you will be prepared to deal with it. Also remember it doesn't matter what distro you run and don't let some "elitists" make that decision for you. Use what you like.

Once you get the hang of things you can alias the complex commands to a few letters, set it and forget it. Modifying my ~/.bashrc is my favorite hobbby. <--- dont get much nerdier.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
If you want to learn it, uninstall it and re-install it the proper way. The only way to learn is to get your hands dirty. Not knocking you for using a script but honestly it is the best way to learn. A couple of face_meet_desk moments later and you'llbe much more knowledgeable.

DO NOT FEAR THE COMMAND LINE. :)
While I completely agree, installing adb is an unnecessarily complex pain in the ass. Requires installing Eclipse, then installing the plugin for the sdk, then waiting on it to download all the sdk updates, and then finally you get adb (or atleast this is how it was about a year ago, may have changed since). Way more than it is worth for something I never use personally... give me gedit or even nano and a shell over that slow thing called Eclipse any day. One of my favorite things about Arch is the AUR, which just so happens to have an adb package that also includes all the udev rules.

Did the same, ran Ubuntu for ~4-5 months then jumped to Gentoo then Arch and stuck with it. The terminal is an amazing thing once you get used to it.

@Joebow, if you ever have to reinstall it and know before hand you can just grab the adb binary and the udev rules, drop the adb binary into /usr/local/bin/ and put the udev rules in /etc/udev/rules.d/.

·
Padawan
130 Posts
While I completely agree, installing adb is an unnecessarily complex pain in the ass. Requires installing Eclipse, then installing the plugin for the sdk, then waiting on it to download all the sdk updates, and then finally you get adb (or atleast this is how it was about a year ago, may have changed since). Way more than it is worth for something I never use personally... give me gedit or even nano and a shell over that slow thing called Eclipse any day. One of my favorite things about Arch is the AUR, which just so happens to have an adb package that also includes all the udev rules.

Did the same, ran Ubuntu for ~4-5 months then jumped to Gentoo then Arch and stuck with it. The terminal is an amazing thing once you get used to it.

@Joebow, if you ever have to reinstall it and know before hand you can just grab the adb binary and the udev rules, drop the adb binary into /usr/local/bin/ and put the udev rules in /etc/udev/rules.d/.
Hey Angel... In another thread you had suggested using adb to boot into CWM while having bootloop issues. Couldn't remember if it was in a CM9 thread or Gummy. Anyway, is there a quick way to relay how to go about doing that in adb? I'm just getting started learning adb and of course, I had another issue that would have been much easier to fix by booting into CWM and just loading a backup than it was to sbf.

·
n00blet
142 Posts
Hey Angel... In another thread you had suggested using adb to boot into CWM while having bootloop issues. Couldn't remember if it was in a CM9 thread or Gummy. Anyway, is there a quick way to relay how to go about doing that in adb? I'm just getting started learning adb and of course, I had another issue that would have been much easier to fix by booting into CWM and just loading a backup than it was to sbf.
ADB command is "adb reboot recovery"

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
adb shell "echo 1 > /data/.recovery_mode; sync; reboot"

@doug, that way boots to regular recovery on Motorola's with locked bootloaders, not CWM

·
Padawan
130 Posts
adb shell "echo 1 > /data/.recovery_mode; sync; reboot"

@doug, that way boots to regular recovery on Motorola's with locked bootloaders, not CWM
Actually, using a link and adb program you had suggested for windows, I tried the "adb reboot recovery" and it gave me an error. Tried simply "reboot recovery" and it took me into CWM. No clue why if that shouldn't have worked. But not having to sbf, I didn't really care about the why! So is boot manager just not a good idea with the newer ROMs? Wanted to try but I'm hearing about a lot of issues.

Sent from my DROIDX using RootzWiki

1 - 12 of 12 Posts