Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Android Nerd
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods, is there any way we can start a new sub category for the new xoom family edition. I would personally like to see some efforts towards rooting the device. I understand that the device has a locked boot loader, but a skilled developer might find a way to incorporate CVPCS' 2init string for it.

Thanks.

Randy

·
Android Nerd
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont really think so, or at least i hope not. the hardware is the same just in a different case and locked bootloader. the thing that catches everyones eye on the family edition is that its 120 bucks cheaper than the original. new people looking to buy an android tablet are going to look at price. $379 is easier on the wallet.

·
Banned
1,227 Posts
Mods, is there any way we can start a new sub category for the new xoom family edition. I would personally like to see some efforts towards rooting the device. I understand that the device has a locked boot loader, but a skilled developer might find a way to incorporate CVPCS' 2init string for it.

Thanks.

Randy
If you can get some more people interested, get them to tweet us.
If there's a strong interest, I'm sure it won't be a problem.

·
Android Beginner
55 Posts
Definately interested in some development for this tablet...just got one and this is definately a great accompaniment to my rooted droid bionic...kinda regretting getting the lapdock a lil now...lol

Sent from my MZ505 using Tapatalk

·
Android Nerd
105 Posts
I'm starting a discussion over the locked boot loader on the family edition at the motorola support forum. I'm a little disappointed in the decision making process over this product. I'm even more concerned as to how they have handled this products launch and support after launch. This product made what seems like a one week appearance and then was dropped of the face of the earth. Hell even cases for the tablet were not made available for the device on launch. It wasn't until a week ago that Motorola made the first case available at best buy. And if you haven't seen it yet, the color choice was horrendous.

Anyone here that purchased the family edition and would like to help support my discussion on the motorola support forums please go here and voice your concerns about the boot loader or any other issues or concerns with it. I'm not trying to create a revolution against motorola on the boot loader issue as thats already being done by other people. But I would like a direct response from them as to their thought process on locking a boot loader on a wifi only device when they specified new devices would be unlocked pending the carriers restrictions. Since we have no carrier it makes no sense. The more people that question them on this the better.

Thanks.

·
Average Android
129 Posts
I'm on board to see this thing get rooted. Just got one and would love to start messing with it

·
Android Nerd
105 Posts
I have officially tried every method known to man to get this thing rooted and nothing works. I have tired sending P3Droid a message on Twitter but I believe he is ignoring my messages. I'm willing to at this point either give any developer anything they need to get this thing rooted such as a system dump. That and I'm even willing to ship this device to a knowledgeable dev that would be willing to take a look at it and find a ay to root it and then ship it back.

Anyone with the Family Edition. Please be patient. I got a developer to help us get this thing rooted. I'm shipping mine off to him so he can wreak havoc on it. Just be patient and hopefully it will pay off in the long run.

The device has been rooted. I cannot say much more than that as a dev has it in his hands right now and he is working on a permanent root method for it.

More news to come soon.

·
Android Beginner
14 Posts
HELLS YEAH!!!! Super news! Thanks for the update and your willingness to part with your Xoom for the rest of us. YOU ROCK!

·
Android Nerd
105 Posts
It's coming soon. Then we will see what we can truly do with these tabs.

Just talked with the developer. Evil DevNull successfully rooted the Motorola Xoom Family Edition last night. The code that was posted on XDA is questionable. I wouldn't run that or trust that.

Evil DevNull worked on it and got it working last night around 8:30PM.

·
Hello Moto
763 Posts
supr2nr said:
Just talked with the developer. Evil DevNull successfully rooted the Motorola Xoom Family Edition last night. The code that was posted on XDA is questionable. I wouldn't run that or trust that.

Evil DevNull worked on it and got it working last night around 8:30PM.
Is the bootloader unlocked? Or is it just rooted?

·
Android Beginner
14 Posts
Sorry bro just didn't know if I was losin' it or something......by the way thanks in advance!
By the way is this a windows only root or is there by chance a Mac version?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.