Android OS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
This sounds like something I need badly. Unfortunately I'm still uncomfortable playing with the scripting or finding the proper place. Could someone please post directions of where to paste (GPS.config?)? Sorry for the noobness but am still learning and willing.
First off, make sure you are using a file explorer that can navigate up to root (if your highest directory is /sdcard/ you need to check the program's settings; root is just a slash with nothing following) and mount /system/ as writable. A lot of people recommend root explorer, personally I use ES file explorer, which has these options disabled by default but they're there.
Navigate to /system/etc. The gps.conf file is here. You can copy it to your computer and modify it according to the OP. Then just replace the one that's there with your modified version. Easy-peasy!

·
Tweaker
1,210 Posts
This sounds like something I need badly. Unfortunately I'm still uncomfortable playing with the scripting or finding the proper place. Could someone please post directions of where to paste (GPS.config?)? Sorry for the noobness but am still learning and willing.
Save the file as gps.conf and it goes into /system/etc

sent from Ziggy, while calculating the next leap home

·
Never Nude Analrapist
375 Posts
If you use Root Explorer you can do all this directly from your phone. Go to etc followed by GPS.config and you can copy/paste the info from the OP directly into the file. Switch to Mount R/O then long press on GPS.config. Choose the "open in text editor" and paste the new configurations. When you save Root Explorer will automatically save your original setup as GPS.config.bak in the event you want to undo the changes. I rebooted when I was done, but I'm not sure if that was necessary. Took me less than 3 minutes to complete the whole process.

·
Registered
121 Posts
To the OP - This works great. Thank you!

Open a command window and do the following

adb pull /system/etc/gps.conf
copy gps.conf gps.conf.bak

Now open gps.conf with Notepad++ and paste in the new settings.
Save changes and close Notepad++
Go back to your command window

adb remount
adb push gps.conf /system/etc/gps.conf
adb shell chmod 644 /system/etc/gps.conf
adb reboot

Done!

I could create a quick update script for anyone who would rather flash these settings. Just let me know.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you use Root Explorer you can do all this directly from your phone. Go to etc followed by GPS.config and you can copy/paste the info from the OP directly into the file. Switch to Mount R/O then long press on GPS.config. Choose the "open in text editor" and paste the new configurations. When you save Root Explorer will automatically save your original setup as GPS.config.bak in the event you want to undo the changes. I rebooted when I was done, but I'm not sure if that was necessary. Took me less than 3 minutes to complete the whole process.
Thanks much RodeoJ. Great guide and I followed exactly using Root Explorer. I'll be using GPS extensively today in the backcountry, no other service, lots of startups and gps re-lockups throughout the day. Will report. Thanks again for helping this noob getting installed

·
Android Apprentice
553 Posts
Since my first android which was a fascinate i I have obsessed with The gps . Finally I managed to get the correct setting but it was time for an upgrade ..Out of the box I was very disappointed with the how long it took to get a GPS lock on my GN ..So after doing my homework and and trying out a few different apps and settings I Finally have it down to a science where I get almost and instant lock !. There is a handy little free app called "GPScompassMap" that you can get at the market . It is an accurate app that tells you how many satellites you are locked into . Before you change your Gps settings do a test and see how many satellites you are locked into .. If your not getting between 8/8 and 11/11 here are the recommended settings .
of course make a backup :) By the way this is for United States settings ...Remember you need a program like root explorer to get access to the file. The file is located in System /etc and of course The name of the file is GPS.cnf ... These setting are awesome but like i said make a backup .

.I added a hard to get app that allows easier access to your GPS settings allowing for more tweeks ! Try and find that one in the market ! : )

ENJOY : )

NTP_SERVER=server 0.us.pool.ntp.org
server 1.us.pool.ntp.org
server 2.us.pool.ntp.org
server 3.us.pool.ntp.org
XTRA_SERVER_1=0.north-america.pool.ntp.org
XTRA_SERVER_2=1.north-america.pool.ntp.org
XTRA_SERVER_3=2.north-america.pool.ntp.org
XTRA_SERVER_4=http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
XTRA_SERVER_5=http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
ACCURACY_THRES=80
SUPL_PORT=7276
SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com
G NEXUS

·
Registered
950 Posts
Can someone just upload the updated GPS file for us to download and keep on our SD cards. That way we can just replace the other whenever we flash a new ROM or do something...crazy...?

Edit: Allow me :) http://db.tt/1kvCSsVF
Edit 2: I'm not responsible for shit btw!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus (AOKP b33 , GLaDOS v1.30, Newest 4.0.4 Radios, Inverted Gapps, TWRP2 Recovery) using Inverted Green Tapatalk 2!

·
Registered
480 Posts
While we're all sharing, I sat down and taught myself how to make and sign flashable zips today, and I packaged this file into one for future rom flashing ease. Here it is if anyone else would like to use it. But I highly encourage anyone who generally looks for other people to throw these up to put in the time to learn it. It takes a little while to learn some terminology but actually doing it is pretty fast and easy once it's set up.
View attachment 24408

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow! This gps.conf file not only got me a faster lock, but made the GPS much more accurate. Navigation would sometimes show me driving on a parallel road one block to the north or west of where I was. My Tracks had me jumping all over the place over creeks and such. Now it knows which side of the road I'm on.
I'd guess that this fix uses a tiny bit more data and battery to do extra NTP syncs, but I DON'T CARE!!

Thanks Mitch!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
While we're all sharing, I sat down and taught myself how to make and sign flashable zips today, and I packaged this file into one for future rom flashing ease. Here it is if anyone else would like to use it. But I highly encourage anyone who generally looks for other people to throw these up to put in the time to learn it. It takes a little while to learn some terminology but actually doing it is pretty fast and easy once it's set up.
View attachment 24408
GREAT JOB !!!I am so happy that my post is gaining popularity and is working for everyone ! !!

·
Registered
32 Posts
View attachment 24408
Awesome Job ...I still need to teach myself how to make a flashable zip if I ever get the time!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've used this script for a couple weeks now. I use GPS daily along with Backcountry Navigator, an app for using offline maps and creating tracks. The lockups are MANY times quicker on starts, and I've gotten locks in places I hadn't before. I feel that I'm using a whole different GPS program overall! Thanks for the script mitch0115.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Mitch-- you, my dude, are a frickin genius. How in the unholy immortal hell did you figure this out?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: mitch0115

·
Android Beginner
779 Posts
Mitch-- you, my dude, are a frickin genius. How in the unholy immortal hell did you figure this out?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Do a Google search for ntp servers
i had started looking into it a while back and there is tons of info on how to modify gps file settings to get better accurate faster locks.
Lots of different servers to use tho

From my nexus tappin the talk
<edit post successful>

21 - 40 of 196 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.